which distro / best distro / distro comparison

Discussion in 'Linux' started by qbic2005, Mar 29, 2009.

1. qbic2005

kevinrs

Can you describe exactly how you did this? I tried the steps described at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AA1/Fixes but something must be missing.

I installed the backports Jaunty in package manager. Then rebooted and the light works.

I tried the config mod but found it didn't work.

I found the fix in the Ubuntu forum on this site. It's a great help for people like me who have a basic knowledge of Linux. A big thank you to every one who has contributed to finding various fixes.

kevinrs, Jun 13, 2009
  2. qbic2005

libssd

I finally got up enough courage yesterday to do a complete install on HDD (as opposed to multiple experimental installs on SDHC card). After running updates, including Jaunty backports, then a full power down/restart, still no LED. It's such a minor issue, I'm not going to worry about it. My guess is that this will be addressed reliably in some future update.

libssd, Jun 16, 2009
  3. qbic2005

libssd

Not to hijack this thread, but here are some early performance impressions for Ubuntu 9.04 vs Windows XP (after cleaning out all the crapware that comes pre-installed, and installing virus protection that sucks up fewer resources than McAfee).

Boot:
    Ubuntu 50 seconds
    Windows 110 seconds

Launch/relaunch of FireFox 3 essentially a tie. However, FF performance under Windows is noticeably faster.

MOV files:
    The default Ubuntu app works fine with LD video, but cannot keep up with HD video
    After installing QuickTime, Windows plays both LD and HD smoothly at "fit to screen" size; full screen stutters a little, but not nearly as bad as with Windows.

I'm surprised -- I expected Linux to kick Windows' butt on these tasks, but not so. A good argument can be made to keep both OS's installed.

libssd, Jun 16, 2009
  4. qbic2005

donec

You should have started a new thread instead of Hijacking this one because there may be a lot of people that want to know about performance impressions and your post has nothing to do with the title of this thread.

donec, Jun 17, 2009
  5. qbic2005

sandydoull

EeeBuntu Base 3.0

My latest install on my aa1 110, pretty impressed with it so far, the boot time isn't as fast as linpus or fed10xfce but once it's up and running (1 min to logged in and online) it's nice and fast, the default panel theme is nice too. The nice thing about this is that it works pretty much out of the box, which is more to be said than fedora 10:p NOTE: AVoid the NBR version, it was reaaally slow for me!

Fedora 10 XFCE spin

Had this installed for a long time, lightening fast boot. After a while it began to get sluggish (too much messing around by a linux novice?) and i had been too sluggish in creating backups so i opted for EEEbuntu when i was going to a fresh install in any case

sandydoull, Jun 17, 2009
  6. qbic2005

rarebook

I am a novice, put in linux4one full 1.5 & share my experiences.

1.bios does not see my external cd, but by tinkering with bios settings, it would boot from cd (D2D restore must be enabled)
    2. The CD froze and stopped loading sevral times. After messing with install options, it installed on maybe 5th attempt.
    3. Intallation did not give option of ext2 file system
    4. installing adobe flash for youtube a nightmare, eventually installed firefox for ubuntu and youtube works on it.
    5. failed to install adobe acrobat, and many other attempted installations failed
    6. when it comes to installing packages various things I needed (e.g. rpm) are missing
    7. No wifi light
    8. G3 worked after msesing about with settings
    9.mic & webcam not tried
    10 sound worked after messing about with settings, and re-installing alsa (not sure if this was neecessary)
    11. Interface does not always automatically generate links for new programs, so a beginner who installs a new program maz find it is lost forever.
    13. Italian menus irrittating, can be got rid of. Double tap on touchpad works fine.
    CONCLUSION
    I have a working netbook, which is nice. much slower than native Linpus. Icecat seems faster than Firefox. The thing that stops me gpoing back to native Linpus is the impression from my experience and from reading here of it that native Linpus is more likely to crash or have problems than other distros

rarebook, Jun 18, 2009
  7. qbic2005

libssd

You're absolutely right, and I just did so, with some elaboration, on Linpus Vs Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook remix Speed comparison.

libssd, Jun 18, 2009
  8. qbic2005

Anfernee

I might not be able to offer much info, because I never ran tests or timed the bootup. Also, I have yet to own an aspire one (soon though). But here are my personal experiences on my laptop (dell latitude d600, 1.6 pentium M, 512 MB ram, 40GB hard drive)

Ubuntu (7.10, I believe) - it sucked. I could control the sound, but when I plugged in my headphones, I would have to re-adjust the sound (it automatically went to full blast), and when I unplugged the headphones, the same thing happened... Also, after a few weeks, it quit recognizing my wi-fi card. Compiz would not work for anything. Also, I just hated the orange and brown themes (I know I could have changed those easily, but I like a distro that already includes something that I like).. Also, bootup time was ridiculously long...

Linux Mint 6 felicia - Ubuntu derivative, but worked a hundred times better than ubuntu. Compiz worked flawlessly, Sound never screwed up on me, wi-fi worked always. Nice themes/wallpapers. No games included (not a major thing, but still..)

gOS 3.1 - what I'm running currently. Its also based off of Ubuntu. I decided to try gOS because I liked the wbar (the Mac OS-X bar across the bottom). Wine pre-installed, Compiz does NOT work, games included, it took me a few days to get used to the close, minimize, and maximize buttons being on the left side of the window bar. no good themes or wallpapers (although the default looks nice and fits the whole idea of gOS)

So far Mint is probably my favorite, but I'm going to get into different stuff soon, I'm trying to move away from all the Ubuntu derivatives, trying Fedora, openSUSE, Elive (if I ever get the nerve to pay for it), Mandriva, MEPIS, PCLinuxOS

Anfernee, Jul 3, 2009
  9. qbic2005

katbert

I am using Arch on AA110. Without any hacking, the boot up time is comparable to Linpus. Also, it's very responsive. I've tried xubuntu, eeexubuntu, fedora ... and I think Arch is the fastest one.

The only drawback is that it takes quite a while to set up at the first time. You have the full control of what are going to be installed. You can even choose to kick out gcc,make... ;) After installation, you get the basic linux system(no Xorg :eek: ). Then you need to install X and XFCE / KDE / GNOME ...and other applications.

katbert, Jul 12, 2009
Ask a Question