Which Distro

Discussion in 'Linux' started by lohtse, Jan 15, 2009.

1. lohtse

lohtse

Ok Folks here's my question...

Which distro is FULLY working on the Netbook?? And not Linpus....

Am curious as wish to install Linux on a Dual Boot. So can experiment with linux some more...... But already have XP installed on one partition hence no to linpus.....

regards
    Andrew

lohtse, Jan 15, 2009
  2. lohtse

jeremysdad

Are you just completely opposed to some minor tweaking? My Fedora 10 is working completely. I had to do some tweaking to get it that way, for minor things like sleeping when the lid is closed, wifi after resume, etc. They are all easy, small tweaks. There is a write up that you can find in the Fedora subforum here, in the first thread.

Just check out the Ubuntu, Mandriva, and Fedora subforums. They should answer your questions... ;)

jeremysdad, Jan 15, 2009
  3. lohtse

donec

That question keeps popping up here and really the part about "fully working" is not truly possible for any OS, since there is always something that will not work. Example: No cube on Windows, certain features of the Logitec mouse buttons will not work with Linux.
    So if you will define the features you want to work then you can get a clear answer as to what OS will do the best for the AAO.

Rant following so you may not want to read it. No flames please!!

People are always wanting to find a Linux computer that when you buy it every thing that is on the computer works as advertised. This is something that MS has gotten pretty good at doing but at a price. First you have to pay money for it second you get a crippled system as a lot of useful software is not installed and there are a lot of things that Windows won't allow to be done. Of course with time this nice working computer will become the computer from hell as it slows down and starts crashing while becoming more expensive every time you buy more software.

Linux on the other hand is different. First with Linux there is very few computers with it installed. There is a reason for this. With Linux you are not limited to what you can do so it is very easy for noobies to break something and if they do then the manufacture gets the blame. Acer tried to provide a safe Linux with the AAO but they failed in 2 main ways. One they crippled Linpus so it would be harder for noobies to break something yet when the did the upgrades they didn't get the process right and broke some stuff themselves. This happen because Linux is an open system which gives the user complete control if the user learns enough. Some distros have created some limitations to help keep their distro from being so easy for noobies to mess up by using GUI's (Graphical User Interface's) which actually limit some of what can be done with an open system like Linux (they try and keep the CLI available for those with the knowledge to use it).

So don't ask for perfection but instead look for a realistic answer for what you personally want to do and there is a good chance you will find it in Linux if you are willing to do some work to get it. The closer your idea is to perfection and the more you want to do the more work you will need to do but at least with Linux you can do it and it will be free.

donec, Jan 15, 2009
  4. lohtse

lohtse

thank you for your reply and eeer sorry I upset you with my question.....

And in hindsight I should have word it in a slightly different way..

It should have been which distro works fully with ALL hardware??????.......

As to your comment that no os works fully hmmmm would have to disagree... As I have always managed to get and have an OS working correctly and fully on pc's and laptops for nearly 10 years if not longer.... This is a result of reading through forums etc to find out problems and then solutions... This being done using both linux (just take a look in liuxforums.org for lohtse thats me) and windows systems.

As to what I want from linux. well simple a working system that I can modify etc to suit my needs as time goes on... Must have fully working hardware as this is always the hardest part to get sorted out.

so here's my question again

which distro works fully with ALL hardware????

regards
    Andrew

lohtse, Jan 15, 2009
  5. lohtse

meng

I have personally found Ubuntu 8.04.1 (with Netbook Remix repos added) works great. But it's not an "out of the box" experience, about half-hour of tweaking involved to get it right. And even then, I may be one of the luckier users; others complain about dicky wireless connections, card readers not working well, microphone and other sound problems, etc. I have be advised to stay away from 8.10 for the netbook, and based on my own experience with 8.10 on a NOTEbook, I would tend to agree (or at the very least replace network-manager with wicd).

meng, Jan 15, 2009
  6. lohtse

ajayre

How on earth did you get it installed?? I used Ubuntu's own option to create a LiveUSB from the 8.04.1 ISO. Booted in my AAO and it drops to the busybox prompt instead of installing. Some searching later I find a new initrd.gz, copy that, reboot and...well you guessed it - no difference. I'm puzzled how the same ISO can work for one person but not another on essentially the exact same hardware...

Andy

ajayre, Jan 15, 2009
  7. lohtse

meng

meng, Jan 15, 2009
  8. lohtse

ajayre

Thanks! Unfortunately it didn't help. But switching from Ubuntu's LiveUSB creator to Unetbootin did work - for the same 8.04.1 ISO.

Andy

ajayre, Jan 16, 2009
  9. lohtse

klamath

I use openSuSE 11.1. It works good and nearly all out-of-the-box.
    You just need to tweek a very few for let linux recognize the card-reader when you
    plug it on linux already switched on.

Read the post in this forum " Opensuse 11.1 with KDE 4.1 on AspireOne 150 "

klamath, Jan 16, 2009
  10. lohtse

superpp

Mandriva 2009 works out of the box (some very minor optimisation afterwards can be done).

I liked it so much it went on my desktop too.

superpp, Jan 16, 2009
  11. lohtse

industrial

mint linux works best for me. i tried several distros first and mint was quite simple (new to linux myself) it only needed a wifi driver to be fully functional, required no terminal commands, and there is a simple step by step guide about the install on this forum!

industrial, Jan 16, 2009
  12. lohtse

lohtse

Have to say thank you to all for the advice has been most welcome... And after messing around with all versions mention Mint 6 was the best for me no hassle and worked as was advised even the wifi worked the way was described.... Just what I wanted. So thank you for the advice,. and my advice to all if you wish to try linux give Mint 6 a try.installs as a windows app so can be removed via windows. No partions needed, and still creats a multi boot in an idiot proof way.... All the fun of linux without thye hassle what more do you want????

thanks again

regards
    Andrew

lohtse, Jan 19, 2009
  13. lohtse

donec

That sounds like you are running it as a virtual system under Windows?

donec, Jan 20, 2009
  14. lohtse

WAK

EEEBUNTU 2 is working well on the one

WAK, Jan 20, 2009
  15. lohtse

lohtse

nope its simple one of the ways it installs.... You then get dual boot as you would with other systems etc but with a much simpler installation uninstallation process..

lohtse, Jan 20, 2009
  16. lohtse

donec

Do you need to have the CD to run when it is installed that way? Are you sure it did not create some partitions automatically and just didn't give you choices?

donec, Jan 20, 2009
  17. lohtse

lohtse

NOPE NO CD is required once installed... As to partition nope DID NOT creat a partition just a sort of 5gig(size I choose) folder on my D drive(partition I created) where it is installed to.... It is very fast and as far as I'm concerned the perfect version of Linux to have on you Acer if you use Windows too...

regards
    Andrew

lohtse, Jan 20, 2009
  18. lohtse

donec

That sounds interesting I'll have to check it out. Thanks Andrew.

donec, Jan 22, 2009
  19. lohtse

gwynevans

I don't know if it's actually the wubi code (although it might be) but it's the 'wubi-like' install option (http://wubi-installer.org/) that's being discussed here. It also has the other 'normal' options too.

gwynevans, Jan 22, 2009
  20. lohtse

lohtse

yep VERY VERY similar if not the same..

lohtse, Jan 22, 2009
Ask a Question