which file manager

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Whitey, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Whitey

Whitey

Hi,
    I'm playng with linux for the first time and so far pretty much enjoying it.
    got firefox 3 and thunderbird installed okay. had a mess about with the acer desktop program to get it looking the way I want at the moment.
    As a convert the biggest nuisance is easy negotiation and management of the file structure using the command line.

What I'm looking for is a nice file manager type program.
    ideally smething gui based rather than terminal based.
    I'm after something with more funtinality than THUNAR which unless I'm doing something wrong wont let me have access to the entire file structure.
    (if I understand right midnight commander is the one to go for if I want something terminal based.)

any suggestions?

cheers

Whitey, Jan 13, 2009
  2. Whitey

markh

For GUI, I've seen Konqueror, the file manager for KDE, recommended. It's very feature-heavy, apparantly (acts as a web browser etc). I've used Dolphin, also a KDE app, which is lighter than Konqueror but more sophisticated than Thunar (in built samba browsing, for example). It's nicely done, but I haven't decided whether to completely replace Thunar with it yet, though.
    I've also seen Nautilus mentioned, but know nothing about it.

That said, Thunar ought to let you browse the whole file system (using the up arrow from home gets you to root in 2 clicks). You might not be able to do everything due to permission levels, but that would be the same for any broswer, I think. You can always launch Thunar as root with sudo Thunar from the terminal. The potential for breaking stuff with a root file manager shoud be obvious, however!

markh, Jan 13, 2009
  3. Whitey

Whitey

AHHHHHh! so Thunar's inability to browse the file extended structures is permission based.

just tried it, running Thunar under sudo solves my problem.
    Thanks very much.

Whitey, Jan 13, 2009
  4. Whitey

devondave

Try Krusader as a file manager, its nice and customisable. Installs and runs fine in linpus.

devondave, Jan 19, 2009
Ask a Question