Which kernal updates to install post slickboy

Discussion in 'Linux' started by geekyhawkes, Mar 21, 2009.

1. geekyhawkes

geekyhawkes

Hi all;

I have been running the slickboy kernel for a while and am really pleased with my Aspire one. The only question i have outstanding really is which of the auto kernel updates (if any) should i install? So far I have assumed that if i install any of the auto suggested kernels then i will be effectively removing the slickboy one, if this is the case is there a way that i can prevent ubuntu offering me a new kernel update everytime i connect to the internet?

Thanks;

Andy

geekyhawkes, Mar 21, 2009
  2. geekyhawkes

spinnekopje

Open the package manager, search for linux-image and you'll see that different kernel packages are installed. I think the one you have to remove is called linux-image-generic . You can also do 'sudo apt-get remove linux-image-generic' in terminal.

spinnekopje, Mar 21, 2009
  3. geekyhawkes

geekyhawkes

Thanks, but for some reason the generic kernel updates are still being listed in my update window. Any other ideas?

geekyhawkes, Mar 30, 2009
  4. geekyhawkes

spinnekopje

Open the updates window, probably you get a kernel listed without a version number in the name. That is the package you have to remove. I only do this once per installation ;-)

spinnekopje, Mar 30, 2009
  5. geekyhawkes

argee

I could be wrong, but Ubuntu 8.10 uses the 2.6.27 kernels, whereas Sickboy is a 2.6.28 one.

If you update your Ubuntu kernels, the GRUB loader is smart enough to list your Sickboy kernel at the top and continue
    to boot from it. The remainder of the listed kernels, however, will be reordered per your updates. Nothing will break.

Visually:
    1. Sickboy 2.6.28-whatever
    2. Kernel 2.6.27-11
    3. Kernel 2.6.27-9
    4. Kernel 2.6.27-7

do the Ubuntu upgrade to, for example, 2.6.27-13 and you'd get:

1. Sickboy 2.6.28 whatever
    2. Kernel 2.6.27-13
    3. Kernel 2.6.27-11
    4. Kernel 2.6.27-9

and the -7 scrolls off and goes away.

If for some reason Sickboy's is no longer at the top of the list, edit menu.lst to put it at the top.

argee, Apr 1, 2009
Ask a Question