Which Linux dist.... advice please

Discussion in 'Linux' started by gezhall, Jan 30, 2011.

1. gezhall

gezhall

Hi everyone.

We have the most basic version of the Aspire One, and over the last couple of years have had Kuki Linux installed. To be honest, it was great... quick, easy to use, just let us do what we wanted. But two drawbacks... 1) It's no longer supported, for a year now, and 2) There's one irritating bug where the panel keeps disappearing, and no amount of tech advice seems to get it sorted. Very annoying.

So, we are know on the lookout for another distribution to install. So far we've tried:

Jolicloid: Hated it, not for us, we don't want linux for social networking.

Ubuntu Netbook Edition: Almost there, but seems to have several rather annoying features: There doesn't seem to be the usual System menus, everything seems to be graphical, and hard to get our heads around. There's no usual file explorer, showing file details with options such as delete, move etc - all has to be done via command line. Also, it's pretty slow, and freezes up a lot.

So... what else would you suggest please?

We want: Speed, i.e. built for AAO basic version.
    All we use is Office writer, Chrome, and Synaptic for installing stuff, and the terminal occasionally, we don't need any social networking stuff or other bloatware.

Any good suggestions please?

gezhall, Jan 30, 2011
  2. gezhall

jango

LUBUNTU!!!

jango, Jan 30, 2011
  3. gezhall

gezhall

Lubuntu... and yet another one to check out!

There seem to be so many... it's all a bit disjointed isn't it? If all these different projects joined forces... anyway that's another discussion.

Does Lubuntu offer the things I listed? It's not actually specific to the AAO is it?

gezhall, Jan 30, 2011
  4. gezhall

jango

I am very impressed with Lubuntu. It runs faster than just about any operating system that I have ever run, and is completely stable.

Boot time must be about 12 seconds.

Chromium (the default web browser) starts almost instantly.

Wireless works perfectly.

And the SSD, which is very slow and locks up quite a bit on UNR, takes almost no strain.

Default apps are:
    Chromium
    Sylpheed
    Abiword
    Gnumeric
    Osmo
    Aqualung
    Gnome MPlayer

While the LXDE environment isn't the prettiest, it is an incredibly fast DE.

jango, Jan 30, 2011
  5. gezhall

gezhall

Thanks, sounds perfect.

Does it let you try it as a live USB, do you know?

gezhall, Jan 30, 2011
  6. gezhall

Darryl

Yes it does allow you to test. It is a very stripped down gui and very fast but I found that when they start cutting down on drag and drop functionality its going a little too far... but give it a go.

Darryl, Jan 31, 2011
  7. gezhall

gezhall

Thanks for the advice guys... we love it!

Quick, stable, and so far trouble free. Exactly what we were after, our AAO is happy again :)

Two support questions, if this isn't the wrong place...

In Synaptic, the Search box is greyed out, so the only way I can search for modules is to painfully scroll through the endless list in that small window. Any clues as to why there's no search box available?

Connecting to the net... is there a 'default' setting? I have to connect each time I start up.

gezhall, Jan 31, 2011
  8. gezhall

jango

jango, Jan 31, 2011
  9. gezhall

gezhall

Thanks... more questions.

1) I added a user, using the Users graphical tool. I can login using these details, but the desktop is missing the usual stuff like the menus. How do I apply the same desktops settings to my new user as the default user?

2) As already asked... In Synaptic, the Search box is greyed out, so the only way I can search for modules is to painfully scroll through the endless list in that small window. Any clues as to why there's no search box available?

gezhall, Jan 31, 2011
Ask a Question