Which linux should i use ??

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Luinux, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Luinux

Luinux

Hello 2 all
    Ihave been tried in the last days.
    Linpus --- Horrible! ¬¬

Foresight --- Very Nice option to UMPC with wireless drivers for AAO, custon gnome for small screens with 3d, sound etc, but has some problems using apps and mass storage wont start with card inside and i cant get it work fine, i think itwill be solved soon.

Ubuntu Mobile Edition --- Cool option, but the bars are so big and you have to load the wireless with madwifi or ndiswrapper (in my case i had trubles even follow the installation manual at ubuntu AAO docs), has compiz fusion working cool, and u have to choose the alsa driver to have sonud, the mass storage works, but u have to start with the card inside to mount it.

I was thinking in install Debian, Fedora, Xubuntu, or mandriva mini, but i am tried to have problems with the HW

PLEASE Post ur experiences with diferents OS or linux distros to have an average to know which distro is the best for our UMPC AAO

IF U HAVE SUGGESTION PLEASE LINK IT HERE
    THANKS IN ADVANCE

Luinux, Oct 31, 2008
  2. Luinux

dack001

I'm using Mandriva Free atm, and i like it a lot.
    Wlan works without any problems out of the box, only the led's of the WiFi-Switch don't work for me (but they do for some people, maybe because i installed mandriva free instead of one?)
    You have to add one line in the config to enable proper headphones/built-in speaker switching, but this is realy easy.
    The only thing that anoys me is the battery-life, its noticeable less than with linpus and the only reason i will be be switching to tripple-boot (mandriva/linpus/winxp) soon and the boot-up time is rather slow compared to linpus (but this will be most likely a problem with all distros not tailored specifically for the AAO.
    One thing to note, according to this forum, you will have to have some sd-cards plugged into the readers during install, if you don't do this, it sometimes won't recognise cards in the slots later.
    Adding software is realy easy, you have the choice between kde 4.1, kde 3, the newest gnome and it comes with OOO 3!

dack001, Oct 31, 2008
  3. Luinux

XFire

ArchLinux, from what I have read on their forums, gets everything working. As it is rolling release, similar to Foresight, you only need to install once and your system is always up to date. They also have someone who compiles a kernel specific to the One.

XFire, Oct 31, 2008
  4. Luinux

Tamrac

I'm with Dack001... Mandriva 2009 One is the best full Linux distro so far for our AAO. Much less tweaking to get things working. ;)

Tamrac, Oct 31, 2008
  5. Luinux

the100thmonkey

Ubuntu 8.10.

I'm using GNOME, but I also have XFCE installed in case I want something lighter.

Works a treat, and the community documentation is excellent for optimising the OS and SSD.

the100thmonkey, Oct 31, 2008
  6. Luinux

renzo1165

hello to all, my 1° post,
    linpus acer...IMHO ;)
    why orrible?
    ciao
    renzo

renzo1165, Oct 31, 2008
  7. Luinux

Luinux

Well, for me, linpus its horrible, but many people like it (only an opinion)
    i suggets put here all the os or distros u use, to vae the chance of choice, i think this is a good thread to have info of others useres AAO
    Im interested in test many distros to be fully shure of my final distro
    actually im testing UBUNTU 8.10 UMPC they fix so many bugs and the info its ok by the comunity
    Thanks for colaborate.
    KEEP ON LINE !!

Luinux, Oct 31, 2008
  8. Luinux

donec

The easiest to get working with the AAO so far has to be Mandriva 2009 Gnome. I have sound without head set via speakers in good volume, sound not out of the speakers but good head set sound, Webcam working with Cheese (but only if Compiz Fusion disabled), both card readers work if a card is in them when booting they even switch without problems and my wireless works perfectly. It's easy to get new programs installed. Very good distro. The only thing I had to change is for the speaker to be turned off when the headset is connected. and that only too adding one line to the modprobe.conf (options snd-hda-intel model=acer-aspire) which I found out about here at the forum.

donec, Oct 31, 2008
  9. Luinux

eddieitman

Have to say i am super happy with GOS it has to be the best out there and not a lot needed to get it perfect

eddieitman, Oct 31, 2008
  10. Luinux

melhiore

I can confirm that. I'm working with this distro couple of weeks now and I have no problems at all. Gnome is running very smooth. Overall system performance is very good - much better then any distro with KDE...

melhiore, Oct 31, 2008
  11. Luinux

Luinux

ok guys HAVE to test MANDRIVA 2009 if u can post a how to or tuto will be glad.

thanks for all the options
    KEEP ONLINE!!!

Luinux, Nov 1, 2008
  12. Luinux

melhiore

There is not much to explain. Best way to install Mandriva is connect external CD/DVD player to USB and boot Mandriva CD. After this you will have Live version with Live Install icon on Desktop. Klick it and GO. If you have installed linux previously you'll be fine. Don't worry ;)

melhiore, Nov 1, 2008
  13. Luinux

donec

The backup script Rbil made for SSD and SDHC card models of the AAO works fine with Mandriva and has saved me from some dumb experiments I have made.

donec, Nov 3, 2008
  14. Luinux

farslayer

After you try out Mandriva you might want to try other options as well.. here are a few.

Slackware 12.1

http://www.thev.net/cgi-bin/awki.cgi/_Acer_Aspire_One_?stamp=1222950371

Debian - Testing
    http://wiki.debian.org/DebianAcerOne

Arch Linux
    http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Acer_Aspire_One

Ubuntu
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne

and yes Mandriva says it's netbook friendly.. looks like they may have taken care of the customization needed for Linux on the netbooks.
    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Tour ... k_friendly

farslayer, Nov 3, 2008
  15. Luinux

scottro

I haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere on the forums, but haven't search that thoroughly.

There's now a little kit to easily install Mandriva from a USB. First, use unetbootin to create the USB. As many of us found to our chagrin, it would then fail to boot.

However, as mentioned at http://www.eeextra.com/linux/installing ... e-box.html there's a little tarball that replaces the boot files with files that will work with a USB stick.

If this is already well-known, I apologize.

scottro, Nov 8, 2008
  16. Luinux

spaceholiday

I just used the tgz kit that scottro mentioned (it was relatively easy to set up even for a n00b like me) and now I'm tooling around on the USB boot.

My main problems after about 20 minutes of use (stringent testing, I know :p)
    I haven't figured out how to disable vertical scrolling on the touchpad. Ubuntu has a checkbox in its mouse preferences, but I don't see a similar option in Mandriva.
    It sometimes seems to take a second or two to respond to my finger on the pad.
    Some of the windows are too large and hang off the bottom of the screen, with no scroll bar. This makes it difficult to click on OK or Close.

Other than that it seems pretty user-friendly and a bit quicker than what I've been using (which is Ubuntu 8.10).

spaceholiday, Nov 9, 2008
  17. Luinux

feed_sparky

Linpus :!: Why is it horrible? It can do everything that the other distro's can do....

feed_sparky, Nov 9, 2008
  18. Luinux

clover_kid

Could you tell me what BIOS version you are using for the Mandriva install? I am using 3305 and am having some trouble. I thought I read somewhere that I may have to go back to an earlier version.

The boot is failing on the E-IDE driver install

Thanks,

C_K

clover_kid, Nov 9, 2008
  19. Luinux

donec

I have not upgraded my BIOS and all the BIOS are listed in my signature but the System BIOS is v0.3109.

donec, Nov 9, 2008
  20. Luinux

Luinux

Good News guys!!

I am using AA1 with:
    UBUNTU UMPC

Fully/Mostly functional

* Audio [ works out of box, has problems with Suspend ]
    * Video (with desktop effects)[ works out of box ]
    * USB [ works out of box ]
    * Wireless Networking [ works after tweaking, no leds though, ath5k driver ]
    * Wired Networking [ works out of box ]
    * Card Readers [ works after tweaking ]
    * Webcam [ works out of box ]
    * Silent Fan [ works after tweaking ]

Partially functional

* Suspend/Resume [ works out of box, but DO NOT USE with SD Cards inserted. ]
    * Hibernate [ works for some people, I have no swap partition here to conserve my SSD, so I cannot use Hibernate at all ]
    * wifi kill switch [ works, but no visual notification on screen ]

with that i have a 1min 18 secs boot

but if u install LXDE desktop and uninstall GNOME

U WILL HAVE 58.16 SECS BOOT

Works great i think i finally found my linux distro!! tnx 2 all for ur help
    KEEP ASKING, IF I CAN HELP I WILL
    KEEP ON LINE !

if ur interested : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne110L

Luinux, Nov 17, 2008
Ask a Question