Which mobile internet for AAO?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Dazza007, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Dazza007

Dazza007

I've just been looking at uk mobile networks and it seems you can only use their dongles to access the internet, does anyone know if you get just get a sim card which fits into the Acers sim slot and works?

Dazza007, Aug 4, 2009
  2. Dazza007

joe90jnr

Hi I looked into his with the view of adding vodaphone to my AAO, they will not release it without a dongle. Something to do with the software will not support you. That is not a problem with AAO as we use mobile partner to log on. I use a E160 dongle with out a hitch. I have a sim from o2, but I am quite sure that any E160 dongles will work without a hitch. If you are thinking of putting a sim into your Sim slot (under battery) you could try and get a iphone pay as you go sim off ebay this should work? Its getting the sim which is a problem. and then the APN/ phone number settings. My setting for o2 are all basic - Access number *99# APN = dynamic, no username or password, finally use Chap.

You could look up an Asda sim (only 50p) and 20p per meg, this will give you a tral?

I found these on Google, thanks to Unlocked Dongle:

Vodafone
    APN (contract): internet
    APN (PAYG): pp.vodafone.co.uk
    Username: web
    Password: web

Orange
    APN: orangeinternet
    Username: leave blank
    Password: leave blank

O2
    APN: mobile.o2.co.uk

T-Mobile
    APN: general.t-mobile.uk

Three
    APN: three.co.uk

Tesco Mobile (uses the O2 network)
    APN: prepay.tesco-mobile.com
    Username: tescowap
    Password: password

Virgin Mobile (uses the T-Mobile network)
    APN: goto.virginmobile.uk
    Username: user

BT Mobile (uses the Vodafone network)
    APN: btmobile2.bt.com
    Username: bt
    Password: bt

ASDA Mobile (uses the Vodafone network)
    APN: asdamobiles.co.uk

Hope this may help.... oh, BTW, when I first used firefox I found it was in work offline - under the file menu) this needs un-ticking for you to get access
    Enjoy, Steve

joe90jnr, Aug 12, 2009
  3. Dazza007

Dazza007

Brilliant reply, thanks for your help, i put my mobile contract sim in the acer and evrything worked fine, so i was wondering if all worked straight out the box but it looks like maybe not. i'll look into probably the asda one.

Daz

Dazza007, Aug 26, 2009
  4. Dazza007

vans

Sorry if this is a really dumb question but I have only had my A110 for two days and I am new to Linux. I cannot get mobile phones to connect to the A110 for dialup.

I have started the app Mobile Partner and via a usb cable I have connected a Virgin and an Orange mobile phone. In both cases MyFiles connects to the phones and I can transfer files. Both phones are also recharged while attached.

However, Mobile Partner does not connect to the phone. I have added the setting described above.

Do the above settings only work with dongles?

Thanks

vans, Sep 3, 2009
  5. Dazza007

Dazza007

I'm not sure with using the phone as a modem but if you take the sim out and place it inside the acer (take battery off) you'll be able to access it that way.

Dazza007, Sep 6, 2009
Ask a Question