Which of the games from the install list are good?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by scooble, Sep 6, 2008.

1. scooble

EasyTarget

Vavoom is very good, it's a 'True 3d' version of doom, ie. it uses hardware to render the game and you can look up/down.. But it is limited to the original doom level designs, so there is essentially only one floor level. Because it uses (hi-def) sprites for monsters it is fast, even if being attacked by all the legions of hell.

Because it is a faithful port of the original doom code/design the gameplay is absolutely excellent, if all you care about is how a game looks then you need to go elsewhere, but if you care about how a game plays it is still one of the best. I think the aspire screen aspect ratio suits it very well.. You really need a mouse/joystick to get the best from it though.

Unfortunately, by default, it just comes with the shareware versions of doom and heretic (actually it downloads them on demand), but...
    1) Many of us brought doom, doomII, ultimate doom and Final doom. It will load and run all the .wad (level definition) files from these just fine, put them in the .vavoom folder in your homedir.. I simply had to dig the CD's out of my archive and copy the data.
    2) It also runs many, many open source/free .wads, there has been a community making these for 15 years and some of the stuff out there is excellent, arguably better than the original. Check the vavoom website (and further) for this.

EasyTarget, Nov 7, 2008
  2. scooble

XFire

I would not recommend freeroidrpg, it is incredibly slow, also xchess or something is somewhat lacking.

XFire, Nov 8, 2008
  3. scooble

andychurchill

A little bit of a bump here - what I think would be good is a nice little summary of each game on the package manager install list, with a screenshot, what the genre of the game is, and whether it ran ok or not.

If I can't find a list like that online anywhere I'd be prepared to make it myself because I'm curious as well with some of the entries on that install list, so I'll inevitably look through them all, and I'm sure others are curious as well. I just need a little bit of time to do it - Was going to do it this weekend but had too much family stuff to do.

andychurchill, Jan 12, 2009
Ask a Question