which Windows should I install?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by brani, Oct 29, 2008.

1. brani

brani

I've just bought Acer Aspire One AOA 150 Aw (120 G Hard Disk,1G Memory) with Linux.
    I'm using specific software available only for Microsoft,so I have to install Windows.
    My question is - which Windows should I install?
    XP- SP2,SP3 or VISTA (or a light Vista) ??
    I already have SP2.
    will it be enough for Acer ? or should I install additional drivers?
    is it possible to find a specific XP or Vista version for Acer Aspire One ?

brani, Oct 29, 2008
  2. brani

Dartsani

Using Search available in upper right hand corner gives all the answers to your questions.
    Even later one "how to install Window$ to AAO?"

Dartsani, Oct 29, 2008
  3. brani

Puru

Well xp is the easiest to go with...the drivers are available on acer website and all that and of course it is a little faster....BUT if you are a guy who appreciates the look and feel of the os go for vista it's pretty smooth on the one...i use vista ultimate (vlited to remove some stuff that i never used) on my one with 120gigs hdd and 1.5gig ram...and it works like a charm....hope it helps

Puru, Oct 30, 2008
  4. brani

Guest Guest

I agree with Peru with a few caveats. Vista does run well on the One but both Peru and I have upgraded the RAM to 1.5GB. The extra RAM really helps Vista run better. If you have no desire to upgrade the memory then I suspect you'll get a better experience running XP Home or XP Pro. Both run quite well with the default 1GB of memory. The system will feel quite snappy if you do a clean install and get the latest drivers installed.

Upgrading the memory is not something to be taken lightly. It requires taking the machine apart and getting to the underside of the mainboard. The task can be tricky and you run the risk of damaging the keyboard as well as internal components. Also be aware that you void the warranty if you open the case. That being said there are many of us on the forum that have no trouble getting inside the case and making changes. If you're comfortable with building your own PC then you probably have enough skill to do it without breaking something. If you decide to give it a go just be careful taking off the keyboard. That seems to be the hardest part for me.

Guest, Oct 30, 2008
  5. brani

Puru

You're right fdisker but before i opened up my one i contacted the acer guys here in australia and they said that the warranty would only be void if you damage any internal components otherwise the warranty stays as it is....

I think you should get into contact with your local acer support before trying it out, if you do that is....although it is a pain in the bum if it's your first time...but it was worth the effort for me...

Puru, Oct 31, 2008
  6. brani

brani

What about Tinyxp?
    Should I install Tinyxp or SP2?

brani, Oct 31, 2008
  7. brani

Guest Guest

Why even mess with TinyXP? A clean install of XP Home w/SP3 is pretty lean already. What would you feel you're saving by going with TinyXP?

Guest, Nov 1, 2008
  8. brani

Tamrac

Precisely! Tiny XP was good for the small SSD sized EEPC. Our AAO has 8gb, and with 2 extra expansion slots! My XP Home SP3 install required only 1.7gb on the SSD. And you have the HD version of w/c space is not an issue at all. Download the XP drivers on the Acer Site. I'd highly recommend using XP Home SP3 rather than SP2. As some experience minor issues on install in SP2 or less.

Tamrac, Nov 1, 2008
Ask a Question