Who has acer 751 that NEVER freeze

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by phenix, Nov 24, 2009.

1. phenix

phenix

There is already a thread about guys that get random or frequent freezes on their systems.It could be interesting to know the opposite, that is: how many of you have acer 751 that never freeze , not even once.

phenix, Nov 24, 2009
  2. phenix

cmeide

Me! That is after I went to the Hynix RAM. And believe me, I have put it through its tests. No matter how hard I try it will not freeze!! :D :D :D

cmeide, Nov 24, 2009
  3. phenix

Guest Guest

No freeze here either, just rock stable running W7 and 2gb ram, use it every day.

Guest, Nov 24, 2009
  4. phenix

Cal_User

Never had a freeze. Running Vista with 2 Gig/160G. Built in June of 2009. Stripped all the unnecessary stuff out of Vista and it runs pretty well.

Cal_User, Nov 24, 2009
  5. phenix

Drjones

My 751 has 2GB RAM, 250GB HD from the factory with Vista and I would get freezes every couple weeks, sometimes worse.

Since I did a clean install of Windows 7, I haven't had a single freeze, and it's been about a month.

Frankly, I'm wondering if these guys having the freeze problems are doing clean installs of their OS's or what....

Drjones, Nov 24, 2009
  6. phenix

phenix

Cmeide ,im happy that changing to hynix ram did the trick for you, but what about ur stock machine? (many people dont want to change things thay just wanna use their machine stock).Nonetheless its interesting information, but it seems that changing ram hasnt fixed the problem for everybody, becuse the guys on the other thread are going nuts on this issue and some have tried many different brands of ram.

phenix, Nov 24, 2009
  7. phenix

phenix

Actually, i think that a large number of systems sold by acer are stable, and never (NOT EVEN ONCE) have the dreaded FREZZE trait, others have a latent instability which i think is hardware based.And may be faulty machines or (chip?) that are instable to various degrees.Maybe a better ram module reduces instability, but the latent instability may be still there, in fact some guys have systems that work well with various different brands of ram.

phenix, Nov 24, 2009
  8. phenix

samcat

My system freezes frequently and randomly. I did a clean install using a Vista system disk (because the Acer supplied one did not work!). Other than the OS (Vista Basic) and the anti-virus, there is nothing else on the machine at the moment.

It freezes even in Safe Mode, which generally means that the problem is hardware based.

BTW, for those of you with new machines that don't freeze, you may find that the problem develops with time. If you are under 30 days into your warranty, I would advise that you keep an eye on your computer, so you can get it fixed without shelling out more money. There's no point having to pay for shipping when the fault clearly lies with Acer's design/hardware.

samcat, Nov 24, 2009
  9. phenix

Drjones

Interesting & thanks for the reply......I'd be curious to see how your 751 runs with Win7.

You can get a 3-pack for only $149.

Vista is a total joke on a netbook....it barely runs.....7 is way smoother & faster.

Again, I haven't had a single freeze since I installed 7 a month ago....

Drjones, Nov 24, 2009
  10. phenix

samcat

At the moment, installing a new OS on a machine that randomly freezes is not a good idea. I could brick the computer if it should freeze mid-install.

samcat, Nov 24, 2009
  11. phenix

cmeide

Making a new partition and doing a dual boot setup is pretty safe. Its the BIOS-update that you should consider well.

cmeide, Nov 24, 2009
  12. phenix

cmeide

Yeah I wish it could be used stock, even though I wanted to upgrade from the stock 1GB to 2GB.
    Just trying another RAM will not do the fix for most as RAM is not RAM. I considered carefully before I bought my RAM but maybe I was lucky.
    I feel people should be informed of what works.
    I do not have to disable or alter any drivers or settings. I just wish I could recommend a cheaper RAM so more people would be willing to test it out.
    Again, if somebody put in some RAM that is not compatible, it does not proove that the RAM is not the problem.
    We need to make a list of what works. I have contributed with one. Sorry if its too expensive.

cmeide, Nov 24, 2009
  13. phenix

Drjones

No, you can only brick it with a failed BIOS install.

I had a couple machines freeze up in the middle of an OS install and they turned out fine - I just rebooted and started the process all over again.

There's absolutely nothing that could go wrong installing a new OS.

Again, I believe the problem with the freezing 751s is the Vista OS itself and whether or not the user has performed a clean install of Win7 or XP.

Drjones, Nov 24, 2009
  14. phenix

Bramster

Mine never freezes

Bramster, Nov 24, 2009
  15. phenix

Eosblue

My Acer came with XP Home and I never had a problem with it. After seeing many reports about how Win 7 worked on the Acer, I decided to take the plunge. However, I wanted an "escape route" if Win 7 bombed. So I bought a 250 GB HD and swapped it for the HD that came with the computer. Very easy installation. Now I had a totally clean drive so I booted from my Win 7 disk and did a clean install. After Win 7 was installed, Win 7 update found all the drivers I needed.

No lockups since I install Win 7. I had Vista on 2 other computers that I own and it was nothing but trouble.

Eosblue, Nov 25, 2009
  16. phenix

samcat

Of course, even if installing Win 7 fixes the problem, one could ask why a customer needs to shell out the money for a new operating system? For that matter, why should people have to buy new memory or a new hard drive or whatever it takes to fix this widespread problem? The netbook should not freeze up like this. Shouldn't a new system work properly right out of the box? Is that an unreasonable expectation?

Acer, if you are reading this, shame on you! I thought that you were a better company than this.

samcat, Nov 25, 2009
  17. phenix

Bajer

Me, I've had it for a couple of months, using it almost everyday at school, never had a freeze. It's a standard 2gb 250gb version running Win7

Bajer, Nov 25, 2009
  18. phenix

Bols

6 months, not one freeze.

Bols, Nov 26, 2009
  19. phenix

drewy813

Not a single freeze. Using factory hardware and software (XP, 1GB RAM, 160HD). Runs pretty well. Could be snappier. Hope to upgrade RAM to 2 GB and install 7.

Bought from electronica direct via Amazon.

drewy813, Nov 27, 2009
  20. phenix

than205

6 months and never a freeze. 2gb and 160 gb from Walmart. Knew nothing about this lappy.
    Recently upgraded from Vista Basic to 7 Home Premium and now it runs even faster.
    I love this thing!!!

than205, Nov 27, 2009
Ask a Question