Who "ownz" your Laptop anyway?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Karlos, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Karlos

Karlos

The 120GB AA1s onward don't seem to have restore disks included anymore.

I tried to get Acer Australia/NZ to send me some XP restore DVDs. They flat out refused and said that if I removed "their" XP there was absolutely no way to restore it. Oh, Unless I wanted to buy another from them. Grrrrr!

That got me really steamed! :evil: They've disabled the ability to burn a recovery disc from their bloated 'eRecovery' partition and now refuse to supply my already-paid-for software.

I thought I'd bought the OS already with the netbook but they seemed to be saying that 'oh no - you didn't buy anything, we're just allowing you to use it' WTF! Not only are they "allowing" me to use it, but are forcing me to use it only as they see fit. Maybe I want to use the full 120GB but hey if I overwrite "their" recovery partition I have an expensive brick and they're not supporting "my" XP license anymore.

That's it... Acer can keep it's precious partitions and XP. I'm going Linux and a pirated XP lite for when I need it (which will be never). Microsoft would spit tacks if they knew Acer was undermining their position this way.

I'm still stunned; this CAN'T be freakin' legal!!!

What do you guys think...?

Mr Grumpy

Karlos, Nov 13, 2008
  2. Karlos

janss

Don't you have the XP license key on the bottom of your computer?
    You can use any XP install cd (of the same type) with your own license key to install a fresh XP on your machine.

janss, Nov 13, 2008
  3. Karlos

Jtw000

I went to Linux for similar reasons but I would urge you to do your homework first...

Jtw000, Nov 13, 2008
  4. Karlos

Tamrac

I 100% agree on this response.... it's way better to install your own XP setup rather than the bloated full of crapware ACER included w/ the AAO. It's so easy to install XP, it's just like any other PC/Laptop. Download the XP drivers from ACER site, save on a USB stick. Run XP installation CD using an external DVD drive.... install the drivers from USB stick. Done. Simple. ;)

Tamrac, Nov 13, 2008
  5. Karlos

clc4912

Unfortunately, most hardware manufacturers no longer include recovery disks. As said before, you own the XP license that is printed on the bottom of your machine on the COA sticker. Any copy of the same version of XP will allow you to re-install XP and recreate the partition on the machine. If you want a recovery CD of XP and all of the drivers, check here:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2445&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=xp+recovery+cd

No worries, there are always ways around things and the people working the tech lines often are just reading from a book and cannot answer questions outside of the box> :D

clc4912, Nov 13, 2008
  6. Karlos

nmesisca

dude dont get your panties in a bunch over MS or Acer.
    Most manufacturers do this in the same way. And no, you do not buy Windows XP, you buy a license to use XP.
    Which you still have, and still can use with any other media you can come across.
    However, I do not think Acer will be happy or able to support such installation because it fundamentally differs from the Stock XP install.

nmesisca, Nov 13, 2008
  7. Karlos

rbil

Microsoft's licensing is the main reason that so many have left Microsoft behind and gone over to Linux. When you run a Microsoft "operating system", your system is indeed owned by Microsoft. Taste the freedom and use Linux. :)

Cheers.

rbil, Nov 13, 2008
  8. Karlos

Karlos

Thanks Guys!

I saw things a bit clearer after my blood pressure :oops: went down, just got a bit irritated as it seems they ship XP discs in the States when you ask for one.

Now to burn the XP Home SP3 install CD. Thanks for the link to imcrazy's post clc4912

Cheers,

Mr Relaxed

Karlos, Nov 13, 2008
  9. Karlos

donec

Karlos, don't be mad at Acer as it is MS that is making this happen and there is nothing Acer can do about it. MS used to allow dealers to include a copy of their OS or a restore disk set. Then they went to charging for them and now it depends on the deal that the individual company has with MS and the country of control as to whether MS will allow restore disk or even a copy of the OS.

donec, Nov 14, 2008
  10. Karlos

clc4912

Iis funny that the One does not allow you to create a recovery disk. I guess this is because there is no optical drive. Even though most manufacturers do not include a recovery disk, you can usually create one from within the OS. The funny thing is you may have better luck getting a copy of the OS from MS if you have a valid COA and explain what you need it for than you would from Acer. MS is willing to provide this as it is useless without a valid COA. However, they may charge you a fee to cover shipping and processing.

This is atleast my experience. My dealings with them have come from a corporate level so it may differ but they have always been accommodating for me.

There are always ways to get a copy of the OS that will suite your needs as long as you have a COA and it is completely legal, such as the link above. :)

clc4912, Nov 14, 2008
  11. Karlos

Guest Guest

I think the reason they dont have a recovery disc (not saying I agree) is because they have the recovery partition and they presume that in this case the way the one's hard drive is not easily replacable for 90 % of users if the hard drive goes thats when you would loose windows and most user would have to send it in for repair and they would re-install windows. So in other words I think they didnt think about super users that might upgrade the hard drive or might mess up the partition table/hard drive some how

Guest, Nov 14, 2008
  12. Karlos

maxmix

You would think though that Acer would you to create some sort of Recovery option.... Even to Flash USB....

In the UK a 16GB Flash Disk is about £15 Delivered..... (I know you dont need this much space) but it would be handy to back up your Acer onto this....

Incase at a later date you want to factory restore.....

maxmix

maxmix, Dec 27, 2008
Ask a Question