why acer not tell all about softwares?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by steven.chien, Oct 17, 2008.

1. steven.chien

steven.chien

steven.chien, Oct 17, 2008
  2. steven.chien

jcm

It does seem a bit odd that Acer aren't a bit more proactive with informing linpus users about these programs.

I guess they feel the Aspire One that's in the shops is a perfectly capable system for the majority of users, so why complicate matters. :p

jcm, Oct 17, 2008
  3. steven.chien

CalebW

Hi - I've had my AA1 for a few days, and I'm getting to grips with the basics of using Linpus Linux, and I'm getting on pretty well with it so far. But I tried installing egoboo, and got the following message:
    Code:
    Your system currently is not capable of hardware accelerated 3D. Therefore egoboo cannot run.

Usually the cause of this error is that there are no Free Software drivers for your graphics card, please contact your graphics card manufacturer and kindly ask them to provide Free Software support for your card.
    Is it possible to get it working? It seems odd that it'd be on the Acer website for the AA1 if not. Any suggestions?

CalebW, Oct 18, 2008
  4. steven.chien

bjc

Actually when you posted this I checked and they weren't there - but as of today they are.

Oddly the version of Gimp they list is 2.4.0-rc3 whereas Ive been running 2.4.6 for a few weeks. Perhaps their version is more sensitive to screen size (the tail of dialog boxes disappear on my version)

Perhaps they'll put a "certified" release of OpenOffice there soon - at least this is progress!

bjc, Oct 21, 2008
  5. steven.chien

Huw

They're shooting themselves in the foot, really. By all accounts Acer are really taking the netbook market by storm and one can only wonder how much larger their market share would be if they just promoted the AA1 better and had a better website/support.

If I'd let the respective websites influence my choice of netbook, I would have been much less likely to have bought the Acer.

Huw, Oct 21, 2008
  6. steven.chien

PoV

I get the impression the actual success of the netbook thing was a shock to Acer. The fact that we're getting reasonable scheduled BIOS updates is at least somewhat encouraging. I'm hoping that behind the scenes things are getting more serious. I'd gladly buy another Acer, as my experience with the One has been extremely positive.

PoV, Oct 21, 2008
  7. steven.chien

Huw

PoV, I couldn't agree more. I think Acer just blundered into the netbook market without realising how important it was to become. I get the distinct impression that they don't have many Linux guys working there, sadly. But yes, the frequent BIOS updates are a Good Thing. I just wish they'd solve the black screen of death problem, really.

Huw, Oct 21, 2008
  8. steven.chien

eddieitman

I am sorry but the reason that these are not published is more than likely the fact that they have been leaked by macles, and are probably not even final versions that fully work (egoboo for example when i installed it had a bug i then reinstalled several weeks later and now the bug is not there).
    So you complain about something acer is still not fully releasing.
    Macles posts the bioses before acer does so that would suggest that he has an internal source or works for them and is using us all as test subjects.

And agree acer was surprised at the success of the linux

eddieitman, Oct 22, 2008
  9. steven.chien

Huw

You don't think maybe he just keeps an eye on the FTP site?

Huw, Oct 22, 2008
  10. steven.chien

steven.chien

steven.chien, Oct 22, 2008
Ask a Question