Why is wifi on Ubuntu/AAO so difficult?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by r0k, Dec 31, 2008.

1. r0k

jknights

I ran the LiveCD with KDE desktop.
    Apparently there should be no difference. :evil:

jknights, Jan 7, 2009
  2. r0k

donec

IMO you are right there should be no difference but according to what is being said in the forums there is a difference.

donec, Jan 8, 2009
  3. r0k

bigg

My experience of wifi on the Acer Aspire One

I had my AAO on Christmas day and since then I have been trying to get wifi running reliably to copy films from my desktop computer. My wireless hub is in the same room as me running WEP. I started off with Linpus then Ubuntu 8.10 then Ubuntu Netbook Remix and now I am on 8.04 with Sickboy's kernel using the ath5k wifi driver and none of them reliably copied my films. They all seemed to drop out with a connection timed out message after anything between 20MB and 500MB been copied.
    But I think I have fixed it this morning (I have been testing all day with no drop outs).
    And the answer to my problems is ..... the acerfand program to stop the fan. If I don't run this program and let the fan run all the time my wifi works perfectly so I suspect the when the wireless card runs too hot it becomes unreliable.

I hope this nugget of information will help other people.

bigg, Jan 9, 2009
  4. r0k

woodland

hi all,

I agree with bigg there seems to be a overheating problem with the WiFI and then it shuts down ..without any notification or message.

I've experienced "unexplainable" disconnects but with a lot of googling and retracing my steps i have reason to believe that heat is the prob.

Ever since i reached this temporary conclusion i take good care not to block the ventilation holes in the bottom of the AA1.
    I no longer use it on my lap. (it's not a laptop it's a netbook ;) ) I use it on top of a book (eeks! glad now i kept a few ;) ) taking care to keep the front bottom of the netbook with the vent holes over the edge thus allowing a good air flow

It's just my 2 cents.. i've not taken the AA1 apart and installed a temp sensor but it works for me

woodland, Jan 9, 2009
  5. r0k

r0k

Absolutely! Thanks!

My wifi has been working flawlessly since... I installed my 9 cell battery which stands my AA1 up off the desk providing plenty of ventilation. I run acerfand with the default settings. Does this mean I can change the settings for acerfand to prevent the wifi chipset from overheating?

r0k, Jan 9, 2009
Ask a Question