Why is XP so slow on my AAO ?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by davesch, Aug 1, 2009.

1. davesch

davesch

I've seen several postings that say XP on the AAO SSD model with only 0.5G Ram is very slow, but wanted to see for myself and sure enougth, it is terrible. I don't understand why though.

I've put XP on PCs with slower processors and only half the memory and although not fast, still so in comparison. I read that read access on SSD is much faster than HDD, but write is a bit slower, so overall it should be better ?

Can someone please explain it ?

Also, I've seen postings that say Windows 7 works okay on these models, again that's a mystery to me as the minimum spec for Win 7 seems to be a lot more than XP !

davesch, Aug 1, 2009
  2. davesch

melhiore

SSD installed in AA1 is very slow and really poor. That's why people making magic tricks to make XP performing better. However big advantage of SSD is lower power consumption/battery usage so netbook can work longer...

melhiore, Aug 1, 2009
  3. davesch

ramon2000

Hi,

You should try flashfire (previously called flashpoint (you can make a search for it in this forum)):

http://flashfire.org/xe/

Regards

ramon2000, Aug 2, 2009
  4. davesch

garrovick

I believe AAOs were designed to run Linux distros, small ones with liitle need for speed. Windows is just too complicated and bloated for such low powered systems.

garrovick, Aug 2, 2009
  5. davesch

davesch

Thanks very much, that has made a big difference. Not sure how it works.

With that and changing from IE to Firefox, the machine is now usuable. Not fast but a lot better than before.

davesch, Aug 3, 2009
  6. davesch

soccerballtux

I recommend trying Google Chrome as well. That's even faster than Firefox.

soccerballtux, Aug 6, 2009
Ask a Question