Wi-fi from camera to AAO

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bdavison, Apr 8, 2009.

1. bdavison

bdavison

Ok, so I tested out a Eye-fi card with the AAO.

Its not really suitable for professional photographers. It has limitations...and some big ones.
    1. No RAW transfer.
    2. You cant transfer directly to the AAO, it has to be "routed" to the AAO via a network router.
    3. No way to edit or select which photos it uploads, so if your shooting a lot of pics with only a few keepers (like continous shutter mode)...its gonna dump all the pictures. There's no way to tell it which pictures you want uploaded.

The basic way it works is you set it up in your AAO. It recognizes your home network, and you tell it which online service you want to upload pics to (flicker, facebook, picasa, etc). Once its setup you stick it in your camera. When you shoot a picture, it dumps it immediatly. It is really fast. The camera has to be on, for it to transfer. If you turn the camera off, it stops uploading. It will try again when you turn the camera back on.

So if your just wanting to dump snapshots of the kids in the backyard it might be good for you. If your needing a more commercial option. Dont waste your time

Hopefully they will get things worked out with it, and add some features. Given the technology, I wouldnt be surprised if Nikon's next camera has the card built into it with some more pro options. It has possibilities, but its not there yet.

bdavison, Apr 8, 2009
  2. bdavison

adrianaitken

In the past I've tried softAP (turns your laptop wifi card into an Access Point) but have a D-Link 730AP portable access point - it gets iot power from the USB port of your laptop. I plug it into the ethernet port (switch off the laptops wifi) as well.
    My Nikon uses a WT-2 wifi transmitter so I get the benefits of sending RAW files, selective sending etc.
    Yes, I brought a Eye-Fi card but have argued since day 1 that they must support *any* file type (including .WAV) and their setup program should be standalone - you currently have to log onto their website to change anything and tell them how many pictures you're taken etc whether you want to or not - I'm sure this is a breach of most countries privacy laws. Therefore the Eye-Fi card sits in a cupboard, collecting dust. The trouble is Eye-Fi the company is run as an amatuer venture, they don't listen to customers, have pretty lousy support etc etc. Nice idea badly implemented.
    And yes, I think cameras of the future will have WiFi built in (some Nikon compacts do already) and will force Eye-Fi to pull their socks up if they want to stay in business.

adrianaitken, Apr 14, 2009
  3. bdavison

boyfren

Hi Adrian,

Do you know of any Software to make our AAO Wifi an AP?

boyfren, Apr 24, 2009
  4. bdavison

adrianaitken

No one seems to do it anymore. The people who wrote SoftAP kept getting taken over by other companies who in turn got brought up.

MSI have it as an add-on for their wifi cards but these are mini-PCI not mini-PCIe type cards. Unless they now also do mini-PCIe ones :D

adrianaitken, Apr 25, 2009
  5. bdavison

ccwh

Unacceptable limitation for me :eek: :?
    Bye bye.

For shooting i use my AA1 as wifi transmitter. So i can send my picture to a desktop PC with Lightroom who add all new pictures in his catalog.

[​IMG]

ccwh, Apr 26, 2009
  6. bdavison

adrianaitken

LIke your tripod with the inbuilt carry handle - what make is it ?

adrianaitken, Apr 27, 2009
  7. bdavison

ccwh

It's a bad tripod (a lots of vibration), but very (too) light. :( Brand: Hama.

ccwh, Apr 27, 2009
Ask a Question