Widescreen Q3 engine...

Discussion in 'Windows' started by ZouZouRas, Sep 28, 2008.

1. ZouZouRas

ZouZouRas

I installed Return to castle Wolfenstein and Heavy Metal FAKK2 on my Aspire One... They worked great with all the details to maximum but i had problems with the distorted graphics on 800x600... So i found a way to make them run on native widescreen... The solution is from widescreen gamer site...

The following method should work for the many games that are based on the Q3 engine. This includes (but is not limited to):

Heavy Metal: FAKK 2
    Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast
    Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
    Medal of Honor
    Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
    Quake 3 Arena
    Quake 3 Team Arena
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force
    Soldier of Fortune 2

1. Install Q3 based game and run once, to generate the .cfg file.
    2. Navigate to '\Base\' directory where the game was installed. (such as c:\program files\quake 3\base\)
    3. Open the config.cfg file in the base directory with any text editor. This file's name will vary depending on the game installed. For Quake 3, it is q3config.cfg. For Jedi Knight 2, it is jk2config.cfg.
    4. Find the string 'seta r_customwidth' and set it to the native width of your monitor. For instance, on a Dell 2005FPW this will be '1680'
    5. Find the string 'seta r_customheight' and set it to the native height of your monitor. On a Dell 2005FPW, this is '1050'
    6. Find the string 'seta r_mode' and set it to to '-1'.
    7. You are going to need to change the FOV now, or you will not be able to use the extra pixels you just enabled. This is what allows the Q3 engine to 'natively' support widescreen resolutions. Find the string 'seta cg_fov' and change the value to '115'.

Save the file, and start the game. Do not change the resolution in-game, or you will have to manually edit the file again. Note that the intro videos may not display properly with custom resolutions, so you will just have to hit a button to bypass them.

I hope this will help some people...

ZouZouRas, Sep 28, 2008
  2. ZouZouRas

2manydjs

Works great, thanks!

2manydjs, Oct 5, 2008
Ask a Question