Wierd clicking noise after I unplug the charger from my aao.

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by jojo1224, Apr 15, 2009.

1. jojo1224

jojo1224

Hi, I noticed after I upgraded my AAO with a MK2008GAL and a Dell wifi card (forget the model) that a second or two after I unplug the power cable from my AAO it makes a noise that sounds like a click/zap. Does anyone else experience this?

jojo1224, Apr 15, 2009
  2. jojo1224

Kyoto

Well its most probably new HDD and since yours configuration is now non standard I cant even assume what can be the very reason simply coz I have no experience with yours like hardware modification. Disassemble it again, put it on some plastic dry surface, power it and carefully find where sound is coming from. After you locate source of problem, come back and I am sure that we can find solution for it.

Kyoto, Apr 15, 2009
  3. jojo1224

jojo1224

I know its not the hard drive though, it comes from around near the battery. But I will take it apart and see what its coming from. I also noticed it will only happen if its plugged in for a while, if I unplug it then plug it back in then unplug it again it won't do that unless its plugged in for over ~15 minutes.

jojo1224, Apr 15, 2009
  4. jojo1224

Kyoto

Well sound can also be coming from fan. Specially on laptops there is some modifications of cool and quiet tech and maybe that is what makes buzz - when cpu fun gets speed up. Look for cable placement around fun and if its a fun you can drop a one tiny drop of "precise mechanic" oil [such as used for house tailoring machine for example] just below sticker on top center of fan. Whit a bit cleaning that should solve buzz issue - if its a buzz from fan which I personally doubt.

Kyoto, Apr 16, 2009
  5. jojo1224

jojo1224

Its not from the fan, the fan barely turns on because I have a script that turns it off till the cpu gets up to 70c then it turns back off when it goes back down to 60c. The noise is from around the battery area. It sounds like a click that would come from a relay switch. The click doesn't annoy me or anything it just worry's me because I don't want my Acer Aspire One to die and I don't have warranty anymore because of the 1.8" hard drive mod.

jojo1224, Apr 18, 2009
  6. jojo1224

melhiore

Clicking noise is coming from HDD - that's for sure. That's result of aggressive power management policy introduced in AA1. There is couple of threads about this already. HDD heads parking every time possible to prevent battery draining - which at the end of the day could be painful for HDD it self...

melhiore, Apr 18, 2009
  7. jojo1224

jojo1224

So it even does that when your not running the stock os? Because it used to do it all the time even with Ubuntu and Linux Mint. But I don't think it would be that loud coming from my hard drive. I have tested how loud it is when formatting it and I pretty much need my ear on my aao to hear it. Weird thing is now I haven't noticed the noise but now when im on youtube or actually anything and makes a sound its all quiet and static. Btw this aoo wasn't originally a hard drive version, it was a Linux 8GB ssd version. I bought a zif 20GB (mk2008gal) ipod hard drive and put it in.

jojo1224, Jun 9, 2009
Ask a Question