Wifi Connected but no data transfers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by SimbaK2K, May 3, 2009.

1. SimbaK2K

SimbaK2K

I recently purchased an Aspire One A150 running Windows XP SP3 however the wireless keeps cutting out. For example, you turn the laptop on and internet works, great, then a few minutes later it will cut out and no data will transfer. However the network is still showing as connected in Windows but doesn't show as connected on the router and no data will send or receive in the network connection status screen. To fix the wireless I have to either disable and re-enable again or use the repair option which fixes it.

I've checked the BIOS and its running v.3.114 and I've updated to the latest wireless drivers available version 7.7.0.233. This is happening several times a day. I've turned the power saving mode off completely but still no luck. Has anyone got any suggestions as its driving me crazy as its the one thing I want to use the netbook for. I did try linux on it and it couldn't see the router at all but windows XP picks it up okay just keeps cutting out.

Thanks for any suggestions.

SimbaK2K, May 3, 2009
  2. SimbaK2K

eyemd314

I just purchased the Acer Aspire One (Win XP, 160HDD) and am having the same issues with WiFi cutting out after 5-10 minutes, yet the status still says connected. Have even restored factory settings to no avail. My other laptops do not have this problem. Would greatly appreciate any ideas!

eyemd314, May 4, 2009
  3. SimbaK2K

SimbaK2K

Just an update, still having the problem. I've updated to the latest bios now and still getting the same issues.

My last resort is try it in linux and see if that works. If not then the hardware seems buggered and it will have to be either sent back to acer or if I can't be bothered just get an external wireless adapter.

Arghhh. Its so annoying.

SimbaK2K, May 4, 2009
  4. SimbaK2K

jjj

Could it be the dreaded Atheros wifi card?

If you have recently bought the thing, then you probably have the option of returning it for a full refund & swapping it for something which works (e.g Toshiba)

jjj, May 4, 2009
  5. SimbaK2K

Tamrac

Sounds like a defective wifi card, it should not be that way. Take it back for a replacement.

Tamrac, May 5, 2009
  6. SimbaK2K

SimbaK2K

If you have recently bought the thing, then you probably have the option of returning it for a full refund & swapping it for something which works (e.g Toshiba)[/quote]

I have a feeling it may be the card. In linux it only sees the network and won't even connect to it.

I could take it back however it was a cheap deal and they no longer have any in stock. And I could send it back to acer however its setup for the girlfriend the way she likes it so she wouldn't be too happy about that! My work around is to get a mini wireless usb dongle like this one, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-sm...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1241500686&sr=8-3 . The one advantage is that it will be 802.11n so should be quicker/better range.

SimbaK2K, May 5, 2009
  7. SimbaK2K

jjj

There are articles within this forum showing how people changed for a different brand of wifi card.

jjj, May 5, 2009
  8. SimbaK2K

tomfoolery

I had wifi problems from the get go with this machine - D150. A new driver improved it, but there were still small disconnects that paused browsing. The connection indicator was always on - but sites would come back not found about 10% of the time, and there were mysterious pauses on page loads.

After updating BIOS, turning off power mode, loading 3 or 4 drivers from http://www.atheros.cz - have fun, I went out and bought the intel mini-pci card - model 5300.

My D150 has a door on the bottom that opens up to the mini pci card slot, so I did not have to dismantle the machine. It popped in and I connected the two antenna wires. The card has three connectors - but the third is for 802.11n.

Right now I am streaming music over wifi from itunes internet radio to my wifi boxes - perfect. This is a no brainer. Don’t waste time trying to get the Atheros card to work. They are just bad - period.

The Intel card was under $30 on ebay and I had it in two days via USPS. I used the Acer Intel WLAN driver from the Acer support website.

tomfoolery, May 30, 2009
Ask a Question