Wifi for dual boot (Linux/OS X)

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by 2manydjs, Apr 15, 2009.

1. 2manydjs

2manydjs

I'd like to add xubuntu as a second system on my AAO, however I'm afraid I'll run into driver problems with my Wifi card. Currently I'm using an Apple/Broadcom BCM43xx (0x14E4, 0x87), but it seems it is poorly supported in Linux. I considered buying a DW 1390 card, but it seems the problems are very similar. What cards are you using for dual/triple boot systems and what are your experiences?

I know this subject might be more linux/ubuntu related than OS X, but I feel the audience in this forum would be more interested/helpful.

2manydjs, Apr 15, 2009
  2. 2manydjs

yohko101

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Devices/PCI usually has a good list of devices supported in linux.

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43 has more information on which chipsets work with the b43xx driver in linux.

Personally, i used the b43 driver on my etch debian machine on a Dell. It was stable. As for my AAO D150, i have the dw 1490 and havent really gotten a chance to mess with it since im on osx most of the time lol but i'm not really concerned too much since i have good experience with the b43 driver being compatible with the card :D

yohko101, Apr 15, 2009
  3. 2manydjs

2manydjs

Thanks for your reply! The reason I'm a bit hesitant towards the b43 driver is that I need to reflash the firmware and the model I have doesn't seem to be fully supported. I took the Wifi card out of my Apple TV and would like to keep the option to put it back, not sure if reflashing influences this..

Does anyone have experience with the 1390 and the b43 driver? After reflashing, does it function normally in OS X?

2manydjs, Apr 15, 2009
  4. 2manydjs

2manydjs

I'm using the Broadcom STA driver and it works pretty well so far. No need for reflashing or NDISwrapper!

PS I needed to blacklist acer_wmi for it to work.

2manydjs, Apr 19, 2009
  5. 2manydjs

sunster

Hi, I'm using the boradcom sta driver, but cannot get it to connect. Can you tell me what 'blacklisting' is, and how to do it. Thanks

sunster, May 17, 2009
Ask a Question