WiFi monitoring software

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Humphrey247, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Humphrey247

Humphrey247

After experiencing terrible WiFi at school, I realized that I had no way of telling the quality or strength of the WiFi signal. I've Googled and found a few but I'm a bit hesitant to download any of them for security reasons. Does anyone have any experience with this types of software?

Humphrey247, Sep 13, 2016
  2. Humphrey247

Karen Gordon

No, I don't know that I would spend money on it. Your computer should be able to tell you the strength of the wifi signal you are getting. Usually when you hook up to a signal it will tell you how strong the particular signal is that you are getting. It is just one of the things that you get information for the choices that you need to make that will make your online experience better.

Karen Gordon, Sep 15, 2016
  3. Humphrey247

BlueText

Before you buy a program to see how strong the wifi is, go into your system preference and see if you have a setting to show how strong your wifi is. Most computers have a way to tell how strong the wifi is. That and school always has horrible wifi because they are usually sharing it with the whole campus. Depending on how big your school is, the slower it is.

BlueText, Sep 15, 2016
  4. Humphrey247

rz3300

Well I am not really sure if I have anything like this, but that is certainly worth a look before going and getting a program. I have had this happen before too, where I went out and got something only to realize that the machine already had something for it in place, and I could have saved me some money. Just gotta do your homework.

rz3300, Sep 18, 2016
  5. Humphrey247

djtech

Yes, I used to use a software to monitor my connection. But, my goal was to ensure that nothing "fishy" on my system was using my bandwidth and that I wasn't being ripped off by my ISP.

For your requirement, there is a windows app in the MS store. Just type in wifi monitor and you'll see it. Its safe since it comes from Microsoft.

djtech, Sep 25, 2016
  6. Humphrey247

remnant

I don't suppose there is something that should discourage one from acquiring WiFi monitoring software like HardPing which is quite good. They enable one to check log files on one interface and even across multiple routers in an organisation. Its possible to see the particulars of everyone who has logged in to the system which is an added bonus if one needs to lock out certain servers from the system if malpractices are detected.

remnant, Oct 10, 2016
Ask a Question