Wifi problem after installing UNR9.04 On 10" XP Model

Discussion in 'Linux' started by monkeystyxx, Aug 19, 2009.

1. monkeystyxx

monkeystyxx

My beloved original AAO that came pre-installed with Linpus died a while ago. I'd installed UNR on it, and it worked absolutely perfectly and I loved it dearly but sadly I cracked the screen while on holiday, and had to replace it. I duly did so with the newer 10" model (the one with the touchpad 'fixed' (both buttons underneath the pad, as nature intended!)), which came pre-installed with Windows XP Home.

The XP Home install worked as well as Windows ever does; the wireless worked flawlessly, for a start. But I did like Ubuntu Netbook Remix, so yesterday I formatted the HDD and installed UNR. Now, however, it seems to refuse to believe it has a wireless card at all. When I left-click the network manager icon, I get:

Right-clicking gives me an 'Enable Wireless' option, but it's greyed-out so I can't check the box. Manually adding the connection does nothing as far as I can tell - it sets the connection up, but refuses to even try to use it.

I've tried all of the following with, obviously, no success:
    - Reinstalling UNR and not touching anything.
    - Flipping the switch on the front of the laptop (I know UNR has a problem with the LEDs, so I'm not expecting those to work, but the button didn't do anything when I installed UNR on my last machine at that still worked fine).
    - Manually creating a connection in Edit Connections...
    - Screaming and shouting at it.
    - Pressing the touchpad REALLY HARD on the 'Enable Wireless' button. As if to 'break through the lock' stopping the box from being checked.
    - Restarting, shutting down, hibernating, etc.

Alas, no joy. Even with the last three, one of which usually solves most problems! I've diligently searched through the forums to find a solution, but every post seems to say one of two things:
    - Commands involving apt-get, or other such internet-requiring methods. Which aren't a great deal of help when it's the internet that I can't connect to... (I can of course connect with another machine, the one I'm using now, and transfer files across if needed).
    - The great line 'UNR works with wireless out-of-the-box'. Of course it does. Yup. Uh-huh.

monkeystyxx, Aug 19, 2009
  2. monkeystyxx

greenfrog

Install kernel 2.6.30-2-generic and everything should work, at least that is what cured my D150. :D :D :D

greenfrog, Aug 19, 2009
Ask a Question