Wifi slow on battery?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by trickyzach, Aug 27, 2008.

1. trickyzach

trickyzach

Anyone experiencing slowness on wifi when on the battery?

Thanks
    Zach

trickyzach, Aug 27, 2008
  2. trickyzach

goofball

not here. What OS?

goofball, Aug 27, 2008
  3. trickyzach

trickyzach

XP, i mean slow slow.

trickyzach, Aug 27, 2008
  4. trickyzach

goofball

nope. Maybe you could try changing the power saving to normal from maximum in the atheros driver options in device manager? I had no slowness issues at all with XP on 3 cell or 6 cell (could download at 800kBps sustained).

goofball, Aug 27, 2008
  5. trickyzach

ani88

Yeah I have. Changing the power save mode settings didn't help for me either. I only receive half of the speed compared to my HP & Apple Powerbook G4 (all three are 801.1/g compatible and speeds at "54mbps").

ani88, Aug 27, 2008
  6. trickyzach

trickyzach

Mine shows connected at 54 the speeds just dont reflect it on battery.

If I do a trace route and unplug the cable half into the trace and my response time jumps from 10ms to 800ms.

trickyzach, Aug 27, 2008
  7. trickyzach

nutron

In XP, I notice wireless network slowness every time after powering on from standby. If I reboot and power up from scratch the network speed is back to normal. Wireless driver is up to date, have not checked bios yet. Anyone else notice this? Or, anyone notice a network performance change after bios update?

nutron, Aug 27, 2008
  8. trickyzach

crowman

Yep - same problem here. Whenever I run on battery I'm finding Wi-Fi speed dropping to about 10% of what I would expect. Running next to my Mac laptop and my desktop I find it's taking the One almost 10 times as long to load or download - plug it in to the wall and all finish pretty much the same. Getting same problem with iPlayer and Youtube ... definately a problem somewhere.

crowman, Aug 27, 2008
  9. trickyzach

crowman

Changed the power options as suggested by goofball above and it seems to have made an instant improvement ... will give it a thorough check and report back. But here's an early "Thanks" goofball as it's looking good.

crowman, Aug 27, 2008
  10. trickyzach

crowman

Ok ... ran a few tests and it's all sorted. Problem was definately the Wi-Fi card running in low power mode for me. Changed settings via Control Panel/System/Device Manager ... selected Network Adaptor/Atheros Wi-Fi ... Properties and then in Advanced Options set the Power Saving Mode to Normal. This briefly disconnected the card then reconnected at improved throughput. Tried previous tests in page load, iPlayer and YouTube and it all looks good.

crowman, Aug 27, 2008
  11. trickyzach

SoySauceNrice

I noticed mine to be slow too so I did what crowman and goofball said and now its up 2 speed like when its plugged in. Thanks for the help.

SoySauceNrice, Aug 28, 2008
  12. trickyzach

jagfan

Mine is set to : 802.11b preamble. It has a listing of other settings (map registers, MFP, etc) but nothing that says normal.

jagfan, Aug 29, 2008
  13. trickyzach

goofball

Do you have a tab for Power Management?

goofball, Aug 29, 2008
  14. trickyzach

jagfan

Do you have a tab for Power Management?[/quote]

Not within the Systems option. I have Power Options for the battery.

jagfan, Aug 29, 2008
  15. trickyzach

jagfan

Just noticed there is a power management tab within the Realtek nic but not within the atheros wireless.

jagfan, Aug 29, 2008
  16. trickyzach

crowman

jagfan - sounds different. To get to my settings (in a bit more detail) I go to Control Panel and select 'System', within here hit the 'Hardware' tab and then the 'Device Manager' button. Open up the 'Network Adaptors' drop down and right click on the Atheros card. Select 'Properties' and then the 'Advanced' tab. This brings up a selector that has (as you mentioned) 802.11b Preamble at the top. About half way down the box is 'Power Save Mode' ... which when clicked on can be set to 'Normal'. Sorry if this sounds obvious but just wanted to make sure we are looking at the same thing.

Have you updated the Atheros Wi-Fi drivers yet ?? Just ask as I haven't thus far and I wonder if this is something to do with updated drivers ??

Crowman

crowman, Aug 29, 2008
  17. trickyzach

jagfan

Got it thanks - didn't realize moving down the list to power save mode would provide the needed options.
    No, I haven't updated any drivers as of yet.

jagfan, Aug 29, 2008
  18. trickyzach

billr

Hi

Tried it changed properties to normal from max pwr save signal strength reported as 'good' but the radio channel started to stutter abit...so changed back signal strength reported 'very good' radio channel stops stuttering and plays smoothly.

BBC IPlayer I got no problems in the the day from 9.30 right through to 7.00pm then it starts breaking up. Similar thing with
    UTube. This I put down to my lousy ISP bot having the capacity to handle the traffic as all the ppl come home from school/work.....no question of it from where I;m sitting my AA1 has got excellent wifi right out of the box

billr, Aug 30, 2008
Ask a Question