Wifi/WWAN integrated solution..

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by dantes720, Jan 12, 2009.

1. dantes720

dantes720

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a Mini PCI-E card that could integrate all of our wireless communication needs? I find it hard to believe that something like this doesn't exist, as all of the devices involved are pretty small (look at the Intel 5100/5300 half sized modules, and most 3g modems are USB based, it seems, and about the size of a flash drive... there's even a Sony stick with GPS also on it) and the PCI-E has USB data support on its pinout.

My question is, could someone enlighten me as to why something that integrates all of these technologies seems so elusive? Size and data transfer don't seem to be a problem, and it's obviously not entirely a niche market as most newer, truly mobile devices have all of these included. It'd be nice to only need one card rather than stuffing USB hubs, cards, and antennae all in there when logic (to me) says that it could all be accomplished by one device.

As an aside, more for curiuosity's sake, does anyone have any info on what cards something like the Sony Lifestyle PC has? I know that it comes with pretty much any type of comm imaginable.

dantes720, Jan 12, 2009
Ask a Question