Will I be able to connect to this network?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Anarethos, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Anarethos

Anarethos

Hi everyone!

I am currently using Windows XP Pro SP3 on my AA1. I am thinking to give Linpus a try, but I must be sure that I will be able to connect to my university network via Wi-Fi.

Here is the related informations :

Network type : WPA
    Encryption : TKIP
    Authentication : PEAP (EAP-MSCHAP v2)
    Certificate needed : Yes
    Certificate validation needed : Yes
    How to install certificate : Through Internet Explorer via ActiveX or via manual download

So, will it work? Thanks!

Anarethos, Sep 5, 2008
  2. Anarethos

Phil_Urich

Short answer: yes
    Longer answer: yes, but you're going to have to install an updated NetworkManager since the one the AA1 ships with is a big gimped :( I've had success with a nearly-identical (don't need a certificate at my school, but if they had it would still have worked since there's the option to select one) network at my own Uni, just used the setup offered in this post: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1028#p11346

Unfortunately now I'm having this problem: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1395
    That being said, this forum is full of smart people so I'm sure it's just a matter of time before it's solved :) Plus Acer has stated they're going to be releasing an upgraded connection utility soon. So I'd say, give Linpus a shot! Especially if you have the SSD version. (I love it even just for the fact that I could go "sudo yum install prboom" and 30s later I'm playing Doom, haha, in many respects Linux is much easier and more flexible, unfortunately wireless support is less than 100% sometimes).

Phil_Urich, Sep 5, 2008
  3. Anarethos

Anarethos

Thanks for the info.

I will just wait for the update from Acer first and then, i will give Linpus a try.

Anarethos, Sep 7, 2008
Ask a Question