Will Not Load Windows

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by helpplease, Oct 13, 2010.

1. helpplease

helpplease

Ok, so I don't know alot about computers. I bought an Acer Aspire One Model ZG5 from a friend. I worked beautifully for about 3 weeks and then it just went blank one day while I was listening to some music. Now all it will do is start to start up...The Windows XP logo comes up and then it says that windows couldn't start normally and gives me the options to start windows in safe mode, last known good configuration...yada yada. I've even gone into F8 and tried all the modes listed there. It will not start up from any mode. A blue screen pops up really quickly and it's hard to read what it says but I think it said something about volume. If someone could help me out, I'd be very grateful.

helpplease, Oct 13, 2010
  2. helpplease

Swarvey Moderator

Sounds like you could have an SSD model and it simply has no storage left.

Try booting it while tapping F8, but when the menu appears, choose the option to not automatically reboot upon system error. This way the BSOD will stay up on the screen until you manually turn the machine off. Write down the BSOD code (it will look something like 0x00000000), post the code here and we can help you further.

If it is a matter of no space left on the SSD (if it is an SSD model), you'll have to read up on booting a live linux distro to enable you access to the file system to delete un-necessary files which will enable the computer to boot once again.

Swarvey, Oct 13, 2010
  3. helpplease

helpplease

The code is 0x000000ED. Thanks.

helpplease, Oct 13, 2010
  4. helpplease

Swarvey Moderator

Just Googled it for ya, the second result in the list says the error is "unable to mount boot volume", further reading points to hard drive corruption. And seems like you need to run the checkdisk (chkdsk) program to scan your hard drive for errors.

Before you can do this, you'll need to at least be able to boot into the recovery console, for this you'll need either a USB Windows XP installer, or a Windows XP CD and an external USB CD/DVD-RW drive.

Boot from the XP disk, choose the first recovery option presented to you. This will take you to the recovery console. Here, it'll ask you to select your Windows installation and enter the administrator password (if any). Then simply run the following command by typing it in and pressing enter: chkdsk /r

That will run a thorough disk check on the hard drive and repair any issues found, once this has completed, try booting windows normally.

Swarvey, Oct 13, 2010
Ask a Question