Will Sins of a Solar Empire work on the AA1?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Oliver, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Oliver

Oliver

The question is in the title and I would like the answer in the thread

Oliver, Sep 7, 2008
  2. Oliver

brachiopod

Apparently not. I installed Impulse, then got sins on the One, but it has a minimum graphics requirement of 1024x768 and would not run at 1024x600. The machine is probably able to run the game, but they don't support the graphics needed. Too bad because I like that game. p.s none of the Galcivs will run either for the same reason, too bad because a turn based game would be perfect for this.

brachiopod, Sep 7, 2008
  3. Oliver

Oliver

i swear i read someone saying they got galciv working. weird.

Oliver, Sep 7, 2008
  4. Oliver

brachiopod

Well, it just would not work for me, if there is a way to do it I'd like to know, maybe using astray would work, or just setting the screen in the intel utility to 1024x768 might work with scrolling. Might be OK for galciv.

brachiopod, Sep 7, 2008
  5. Oliver

NielsenSan

Hi.

Just wanted to inform that I'm running Sins on my AA1 right now.

There's one prereq. - You need to install the utility A1CTL
    Link's here:

http://nodadev.wordpress.com/pc-projects/a1ctl/

If you encounter any difficulites with A1CTL I suggest a search in this forum. (On my AA1 it installed flawlessly)
    The utility is absolutely great, and besides having fan and Clock control it gives you the opportunity to change resolution to 1024 X 768 and downscale to fit the AA1's screen. And this is exactly what you need to do.

When you have installed SIns you need to locate the config file - Its located in:

C:\Documents and Settings\"User Name"\Lokale indstillinger\Application Data\Ironclad Games\Sins of a Solar Empire\Setting

Replace "User name" with your specific user to get the correct path.

You need to open the file user.setting in notepad.

The file contains all user settings for Sins (not really surprising when you consider the filename ;) )

Here's the relevant settings from my file:

VideoAdapterOrdinal 0
    VideoIsWindowed TRUE
    VideoRefreshRate 60
    VideoFullScreenWidth 800
    VideoFullScreenHeight 600
    VideoWindowedWidth 1024
    VideoWindowedHeight 768
    VideoMultiSampleType 0
    TextureCompressionEnabled TRUE
    TextureQualityForShipColor 0
    TextureQualityForShipData 0
    TextureQualityForShipBump 0
    TextureQualityForModuleColor 0
    TextureQualityForModuleData 0
    TextureQualityForModuleBump 0
    TextureQualityForPlanetColor 0

Above settings makes Sins run in a window that will fill the screen - but still a Window. Window mode disables the built in probing of the graphics cards possible resolution and allows for "cheating" the game into seeing the minimal required resolution of 1024 X 768.

Some of the setting will also adjust graphics quality - That you can alter yourself from inside the game once you have it up and running.

The game's playable when you, like me, play it "from above" and don't zoom in on the 3D action stuff.

Hope that this information helps some fellow Sins/AA1 fans out there.

If you require further information you're always welcome.

NielsenSan, Nov 3, 2008
  6. Oliver

brachiopod

I was so far able to run the original Galciv II using a1ctl at 1024x768 full screen. So that's nice! Being more turned based, it seems to run OK. I'm installing the dark avatar and twilight now, I expect that they will also run.

brachiopod, Nov 20, 2008
  7. Oliver

BazookaAce

You can also try to run it with 3D Analyzer. The program emulates functions of a "real" graphicscard. I'm using it when i'm playing Street Racing Syndicates, and im able to run all settings on high. Cause, when i'm not running it from 3DA, the settings must be on low. So it's working. No doubt about that

BazookaAce, Nov 29, 2008
Ask a Question