Win 7 and also comments on You Tube

Discussion in 'Windows' started by davebroyles, Apr 3, 2010.

1. davebroyles

davebroyles

I have a D250, and an external DVD drive, which I bought for use with the Aspire One. I used it to install Win 7 Pro, which went like a clock. It worked reasonably well with Win 7 however I had a strange problem with the cursor jumping around unexpectedly while I was typing. I found that there were about 4 drivers for Win 7 on the website, one of which probably added Gig ethernet, and one which definitely fixed the jumping around problem. Since the driver upgrade, it has worked like a charm. My D250 has 2 gig of memory and the 160 GB hard drive. I have had no problem looking at Youtube videos using either Internet Explorer 8 or Google Chrome.

I don't know why someone had a problem with Youtube on an Aspire One, but I would expect that it has something to do with some obscure registry setting. I would try reinstalling the op system and then bringing everything up to date, Flash, plugins, java, and etc. Frustrating to do, however, I spend a lot of time, professionally, sleuthing out obscure registry settings, only to find it would have been easier to start over. Yeah, if you do it again in the regular order and get the same results, it really hurts, but then you probably should assume that you have a weird hardware or driver problem.

The Aspire One plays regular DVD movies pretty well with the external hard drive or if the movie is put on the SDHC card in the accessory slot. I have big fingers so typing on it is a little hard, but I do OK. It also drives a projector just fine. I bought a Hauppauge WinTV 9500 USB tuner, and it seem to work well too, although I have to give about a D to how the tuner works with the supplied external antenna. I am probably 50 miles away from the Xmission tower though. The tuner works well with basic cable though. I also use it for navigation with Street Atlas and the little Delorme GPS. It works pretty well there too, except that the speakers are too quiet with Street Atlas audio directions. I have to use a head set to hear it well enough to use the audio, which isn't too good on a long trip.

I mostly posted this to mention that the regular Win 7 pro install works great on my Aspire One. I wouldn't go back to XP.

Incidentally, with the stock 3 cell battery, it has never lasted more than about 3 hours doing regular tasks, however I bought a 9 cell battery for when I need a LOT of life. I highly recommend a thin DVD drive for use with the Aspire One. Mine is a Gear Head Mobile Slim DVD drive.

Just my 2 cents.

davebroyles, Apr 3, 2010
Ask a Question