Win 7 Install successful...now I have a question

Discussion in 'Windows' started by zero9046, Apr 20, 2009.

1. zero9046

zero9046

OK, tonight, after upgrading the ram on my 8gb linpus aspire one, I decided to install the win 7 ultimate 32 bit beta. The install went smoothly, and I didn't have to download any drivers or anything. Wireless worked right "out of the box" which I was surprised about considering what I've read. If it matters, in on build 7057... I haven't updated for the following reason, which leads me to my question.

Right now, I only have 533MB of free space left on C: (yes, i did a FULL install). There is no hibernation file to clean up, so I guess it wasn't a glitch free install, but i'm not terribly concerned about not having hibernate feature. My question is this:

If I go sink a bit of money into an 8 or 16gb sdhc (i assume class 4 or 6 is best?) and plug it in to the left hand slot, will it be recognized as part of the C: drive, or its' own drive? And! If I plug the card in and it is seen as a separate drive, If I install programs to it (can I even do that?), will that affect how they run?

All things considered, with as little hard drive real estate that is left, this thing runs pretty well. Id like to get more hard drive space so I can keep using it until the beta expires. Is vlite hard to use? What steps are involved with that? Is there a "how-to" guide on trimming win 7 with vlite?

Any help would be great

zero9046, Apr 20, 2009
  2. zero9046

Tamrac

I have installed Win7 7057 as well... and it left me with 2gb free on the SSD. Try removing some unneeded windows components. Turn off swap file & indexing. As to your question, if you used an SDHC card, it will be recognized as another drive. And will be treated as any normal drive, you can put programs, documents, etc etc. I have windows 7 only on drive C, and have all my apps and user Documents as well as temo folders moved to drive D(SDHC Card).

Tamrac, Apr 20, 2009
  3. zero9046

zero9046

Ok, that's good to know. What class of SDHC cards is best? 6, right?

zero9046, Apr 20, 2009
  4. zero9046

Lass3

Yeah, class 6 is the best, but i dosent really matter. You should buy the 16GB Transcend card, its quite cheap.

Lass3, Apr 20, 2009
  5. zero9046

Tamrac

So many SDHC are tagged as Class 6.... but they vary alot in performance. I suggest you research before you buy. Get the ones with the fastest read/write speeds. Write speed being the most important factor.

Tamrac, Apr 21, 2009
  6. zero9046

adrianaitken

adrianaitken, Apr 21, 2009
Ask a Question