win7 HI/Lo to upgrade, clean install, or dual boot?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by mikeS, Jan 18, 2009.

1. mikeS

mikeS

I think Hi Beams/Low Beams for the different paths to using Win7 would be helpful to myself and others. Whether to 1. upgrade over xp, 2. do a format and do a clean install or 3.create a new partition to install Win7 there and dual boot. I'll assume creating a virtual pc is not an option.

Some questions for each that might help discussion:
    1.Upgrade over vista. Has anyone gone this route? I understand that a .bak file is created and the option will remain to revert back to XP.
    2.Clean install. Will access to the touchpad, and screen be immediately available after installation since I know for sure the touchpad is not a default Microsoft driver. Always been concerned that I'd be left without a usable means of operating a mouse when the clean install was finished.
    3.New partition then dual boot. After installing Win7 to new partition, does one need a 3rd party boot manager? Are all applications then reinstalled to the new Win7 partition to be able to use them?

Appreciate any discussion.

mikeS, Jan 18, 2009
  2. mikeS

sbaeder

Well, I have done it BOTH ways and either is OK...

You will still have basic mouse capability on the touchpad, and basic hard-wired network access and "aero"...Actually, I only upgraded over vista (not XP), and it took a lot longer, since it was migrating ALL the programs, registry entries, etc. So, I suggest a clean install (or a dual boot to a clean partition)....Afterall, this **IS** BETA, and it does have a few quirks in it...

But bottom lline, I think it's more of a you say po-TA-toe, and I say pah-TAH-toe...pick the one you like best...either wait the extra time, or spend the time re-installing the drivers...

sbaeder, Jan 18, 2009
Ask a Question