Window sizing?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by tomo88, Aug 26, 2008.

1. tomo88

tomo88

Hi all,

After about 10 or so formats and reformats, I finally have gotten ubuntu working.

The only problem is is that due to the small screen, the windows cant be re-sized any more and in some screens, I can't see the bottom of the open windows which contains the all important "OK" buttons.

Is there any way to adjust the resolution or should I have a look at some accessibility software?

Thanks all

EDIT: I also noticed that when I maximise it and try to click somewhere, it scrolls the window down and I cant actually click on anything; it just keeps moving the windows up and down

tomo88, Aug 26, 2008
  2. tomo88

Thomas8675309

Did you follow the guide? It shouldn't be that hard.
    To move a hidden part of the window into view, click and drag with the left mouse button on any part of the window while holding down the ALT key. However, you won't be able to drag windows so the top of the window is above the top of the screen. To fix that, enter the following in a terminal window:
    Code:
    gconftool-2 --set /apps/compiz/plugins/move/allscreens/options/constrain_y --type bool 0
    I've noticed this with a very few applications that require a minimum window size larger than the screen. Among other things, you can remove the top and bottom panels, which opens up a bit more real estate. You can also make the top and bottom panels smaller:
    Code:
    gconftool-2 --set /apps/panel/toplevels/top_panel_screen0/size --type integer 19
    gconftool-2 --set /apps/panel/toplevels/bottom_panel_screen0/size --type integer 19
    Or make everything go fullscreen when you hit <F11>:
    Code:
    gconftool-2 --set /apps/metacity/window_keybindings/toggle_fullscreen --type string "<Alt>F11"
    Hope that helps.

Tom

Thomas8675309, Aug 27, 2008
  3. tomo88

tomo88

Thanks a lot for that Tom, was great help.

Hahah, yes I did follow the guide, but trying to get sound working is a tricky one given Im a complete linux novice, but ill keep trying

tomo88, Aug 27, 2008
  4. tomo88

mabo

This bug is a real pain and it occurs with rather many programs...

mabo, Sep 8, 2008
  5. tomo88

Thomas8675309

What are they?

In any case, here is a fix that has worked for me, assuming you've already made the fixes described above: I hold down the alt-key and move the window so its top is in fact above the top of the screen - just barely. The problem does not seem to occur once you've done that.

Thomas8675309, Sep 10, 2008
  6. tomo88

mabo

Moving the windows isnt a problem but some programs opens up in maximized windows -mode, then the problem comes. You cant do anything before shutting down the buggy program.

mabo, Sep 10, 2008
  7. tomo88

baudwalk

This tip from Tomo88 needs SHOUTING ABOUT - its brilliant.

gconftool-2 --set /apps/compiz/plugins/move/allscreens/options/constrain_y --type bool 0

Thanks Tomo88. :D

baudwalk, Sep 10, 2008
Ask a Question