Windows 120g HD Unable to format Fat32

Discussion in 'Storage' started by STEEEL, May 8, 2009.

1. STEEEL

STEEEL

I have windows xp pro in a USB drive. Now when I delete the partition and begin to install XP, I am unable to format in Fat32. The only options I get is NTSB or NTSB quick.

Please help me!

STEEEL, May 8, 2009
  2. STEEEL

jackluo923

Why do you want to format your hdd to Fat32? Do you have compatibility issues with NTFS? With Fat32, it'll slow down your hdd, waste hdd space and decrease the hdd's reliability (NTFS a bit of redundancy). Also, Fat32 only allow maximum of 4GB file size per file.

Anyways.. to format hdd larger than 30GB, you'll have to use special tools in windows or other operating systems to bypass the "30GB limit" of Fat32.

jackluo923, May 8, 2009
  3. STEEEL

garrettp

You may need to boot to a Win98 bootdisk or DOS. I still like to do my partitioning in DOS myself. However, if you do not have a USB floppy drive you will need to boot to a CDrom. There is probably a way to do the same with a USB drive but I never figured that part out yet as I have both an external CD and Floppy USB ;). There is a link below, check that out and see if that works. You will then have to run fdisk and delete NON-DOS partitions and then you will have to create DOS partition(s) and format. From there that should give the option in XP for FAT32. Why do you want FAT32 for XP though?
    DOS USB BOOT

garrettp, May 8, 2009
Ask a Question