Windows 7 beta, free public download tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Windows' started by guycross, Jan 8, 2009.

1. guycross

guycross

guycross, Jan 8, 2009
  2. guycross

w3dal

tempted to run this on my aspire one.

not sure if its more hassle than its worth.

Dal

w3dal, Jan 8, 2009
  3. guycross

guycross

I keep reading outside of this forum that it is suppose to be very netbook freindly

guycross, Jan 8, 2009
  4. guycross

stepppy

Excuse me if this is a dumb question, but what license key would be needed - Vista? or does a beta not require one.

stepppy, Jan 8, 2009
  5. guycross

rory

Will be millions of keys littered round the net. Plus official testers get a key good on 10 computers (Well vista did )

rory, Jan 8, 2009
  6. guycross

stepppy

ok, great thank you :)

stepppy, Jan 8, 2009
  7. guycross

guycross

As I am aware you will not need a key, but this is a time restricted beta. So it will expire on 1st of July (i think) there are ways to extend this, that will be seriously frowned upon by Microsoft.

guycross, Jan 8, 2009
  8. guycross

w3dal

so whos gonna install it first on there Acer then :D

and create an install guide with pics - lol

Dal

w3dal, Jan 8, 2009
  9. guycross

DynaMight

It's exactly the same as one already released a few weeks ago - Build No. 7000.

DynaMight, Jan 8, 2009
  10. guycross

rory

For certain? I thought Microsoft might play a game with us, and release a build number higher than 7000 with the official beta. One from the best lab that never leaks anything. Cant think of the name of that lab though

rory, Jan 8, 2009
  11. guycross

x7or

Well, I think it might be the build 7000 but with an extended test period, because the beta I have has an expiration date of july 1st, and reports say that the public beta expires on August 1st...

x7or, Jan 8, 2009
  12. guycross

jhill101

Can this be run from a DVD? ... I know, I know... dumb question so calm down dumb question cops... :eek:

jhill101, Jan 9, 2009
  13. guycross

DjFIL

I'd love to try and install this on my GF's Acer Aspire One... unforutnatly we've only got the one with the 8GB SSD... and I don't think putting an 8GB SDHC in to the 'expansion' slot will work for the minimum 11GB install that people are reporting. But I'll be checking here... hopefully there's ways to trim down the required install size so that us with the 8GB SDD option can give this a trial run.

DjFIL, Jan 9, 2009
  14. guycross

Nemix

Windows 7 Download Server was not up early Friday. I just got my activation serial from Microsoft and downloading ISO right now, I will install later on when I have time. :D

Nemix, Jan 10, 2009
  15. guycross

Stu

looks like there are only 8 product keys in total.

Stu, Jan 10, 2009
  16. guycross

Nemix

Product keys are good until June 2009 right?

Looks like I'll be staying on the beta as my main OS until retail release. I'm waiting on delivery for my A-Data 4GB MiroSD 3in1 card as we speak. Can't wait to install and try it out, after installation I will be using the A-Data card as 4GB swap for ReadyBoost.

From what I've heard, Windows 7 is shaping out to be the Vista that should have been...lol Should be stable enough even though it's beta, plus I have all my important files backed up via external hard drive if anything should happen.

Nemix, Jan 10, 2009
  17. guycross

BlueLink

Alright guys, I'm having a little bit of trouble installing the beta. I've already downloaded Microsoft's official beta ISO and have a key ready, the only problem is delivering the ISO to the ONE.

The main way the people are describing the way to do this is to use DiskPart. The only problem is I only have XP machines at my disposal. While this might seem like an advantage, it is not at the moment.

When I go to use the diskpart in the command prompt, it is unable to see the drive (8GB Geek Squad without U3 which I just purchased) under the "list drive" command. I have tried using "list volume," but diskpart is unable to preform the "active" command on anything other than a hard disk (which in version 6, included with Vista, this is a feature).

The only thing I haven't tried is using BartPE to install, but I would rather boot using the ISO because I need to use the recovery console to remove my Ubuntu partition (I will be sad to see it go, but I need the room) and repartition the drive so the I will have both Windows 7 and Windows XP (I have Ubuntu on a flashdrive anyway).

If you could offer any other suggestions, that would be great.

|EDIT| You can ignore this post, since the Geek Squad drive was supposed to have U3, the U3 installer from here recognized the drive. From here, I can follow this tutorial.

BlueLink, Jan 10, 2009
  18. guycross

Stu

Product keys valid to 1st August.

30 day install can be renewed 3 times with the rearm command if you don't use a product code.

Stu, Jan 10, 2009
  19. guycross

Stu

Easiest way I found was to do it with a USB hard disk rather than a pen drive as it is much more consistent.

Stu, Jan 10, 2009
  20. guycross

laughinboy

Installed Windows 7 tonight and so far it seems. I get a WEI of 2.2 (2.7 in Vista).

I extracted the iso using Winrar. From the command prompt I cded to the Boot folder of the extracted iso and typed bootsect.exe /nt60 <my usb key drive letter>: (just like you do for Vista installation). Then copied all extracted files to the usb key. Connected key to ONE, powered on, pressed F12, selected boot device (Sandisk Cruzer) and thirty minutes later I was logging into Windows for the first time.

Afterwards I had to install the XP Atheros driver as well as the JMicron drivers. I miss the Flip 3D shortcut on the taskbar :?

Have a nice evening everyone Im off to bed.....2.45am here.

laughinboy, Jan 11, 2009
Ask a Question