Windows 7 Build 6801 on 8GB SSD

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Sniper257, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Sniper257

Sniper257

I tried earlier to install Windows 7 but of course it told me that it couldn't because of size contraints, bla bla bla. Well I got home and used vLite on the files and got it down to a meager 1.5GB. It's installing now and I'll give a performance review once it's done.

EDIT:
    Very long install time, which is to be expected from the slow SSD. It seems to be working "okay" but I still haven't done any optimizations. Takes up a huge chunk of space too, so I guess I'll need to upgrade to a higher capacity SD. Aero works out of the box and looks amazing as usual. I'm going to go ahead and install drivers etc. on this PC since it didn't come with support for my LAN with the fresh install, which might be partly due to the vLite mods I did. Sound also worked out of the box, so one less driver to install :D So I guess I'm going to go get those drivers and edit again.

EDIT2:
    Also forgot to mention the method used. I used an Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive I picked up for $50 :shock: and just installed that way. I'm using a blue A110L with a depressing 3-cell battery and 512MB of RAM.

Sniper257, Nov 15, 2008
  2. Sniper257

Sniper257

Hmn... I'm having a problem with wifi, can anyone help? I let it install the driver from Windows Update and it /seems/ to be working but i cant get into any type of screen to choose an SSID. Did I take something out with vLite? And if so, what was it?

Sniper257, Nov 15, 2008
  3. Sniper257

Frojd

Wait a sec, are you saying that the vista vLite works for windows 7 too?? :eek:

Frojd, Nov 15, 2008
  4. Sniper257

Sniper257

Yeah it definitely works, but some stuff can't be added like drivers. I shrunk mine down to a 1.6GB ISO and it installed on the tiny 8GB SSD, as without vLite there wasn't enough space. It's definitely a great app, but for some reason after 3 different vLite setups I still can't get wireless working. I install the driver and everything goes as planned until the point where I try to connect. It doesn't say /anything/ about a wireless connection and when I click "Connect to a network" it just pops up with the standard tray icon menu. I'm trying a 4th install now where I only took out languages and Tablet PC, hopefully now it might work.

Sniper257, Nov 15, 2008
  5. Sniper257

vinistois

You should try using the atheros client utility, it bypasses window's own connection stuff and works quite well.

vinistois, Nov 15, 2008
  6. Sniper257

Sniper257

Would it work even though Windows says in the diagnose page "No network hardware detected" even though it's working in Device Manager and shows up under Network Connections as enabled?

Sniper257, Nov 15, 2008
  7. Sniper257

rory

tried the xp driver?

rory, Nov 16, 2008
  8. Sniper257

KiNG

i used the 32bit winxp driver, worked fine.

KiNG, Nov 17, 2008
  9. Sniper257

Sniper257

That was on the HDD model, right? I need to vlite mine down to get it to fit on the SSD. I tried removing nothing but tablet pc and languages but wireless still didn't work. If you did vlite it down, post ini?

Sniper257, Nov 20, 2008
  10. Sniper257

dfleminguk

I dont know if anyone can advise on the following... I have attempted to load this version booting from a usb dvd, however i am greeted with the fatal blue screen of death during the initial loading of windows files. I have succesfully loaded the full installation onto another laptop so know the dvd is ok and assume this problem is specific to my acer one. It is the 120gb model upgraded to 1.5gb ram.

dfleminguk, Nov 23, 2008
  11. Sniper257

Hank3rd

I installed windows 7 from a USB stick and it was fine. I used the XP wlan drivers.

Hank3rd, Nov 23, 2008
  12. Sniper257

vinistois

Ok my install went fine, and everything is working except the wifi. I have the XP driver installed, it installed fine. The network device is enabled and its showing my home SSID in the taskbar. However, if I try to connect, the machine locks up, every time. Plus, if I try the slider-switch on the front, the machine locks up every time as well.

Anyone seen this problem?

vinistois, Nov 24, 2008
  13. Sniper257

vinistois

Ok I fixed it. Apparently windows 7 doesn't like when the atheros client utility is installed. Uninstalling the util solved the issue!

vinistois, Nov 24, 2008
  14. Sniper257

hafiz

tried with vlite, wireless do work but you have to make a manual connection where you have to type in the ssid and the wep/wpa key manually. try it, worked on mine but no guarantees. mines an 8gb ssd model. and for the 120 gb, me and a friend managed to full install without errors, the only thing that sucks is, the WEI is dropped from 2.7 to 2.5.

hafiz, Dec 6, 2008
  15. Sniper257

DiSK

Hmm. Just tried Build 6956 on VirtualBox. Even loading the .iso takes forever, around 15-20 minutes. I had a 15.00GB HDD, 512MB RAM, and 8MB VRAM, right on my AspireOne. It wasn't that quick, but probably because I was using VirtualBox. It's kind of confusing for me, probably because I've never used Vista before...But it does look quite nice. Hopefully, it will have enough improvements over XP to convince me to make the switch.

BTW, apparently the Windows 7 W.E.I is different from Vista's. So, your 2.5 is actually more than Vista's 2.7. At least, it should be.

DiSK, Dec 15, 2008
Ask a Question