Windows 7 Installation Disaster- PLZ HELP ME!

Discussion in 'Windows' started by ajk3000, Jan 31, 2009.

1. ajk3000

ajk3000

:cry: I hesitantly installed Windows 7 on my Vista Premium laptop (not my netbook) and was thrilled and amazed that it was faster, lighter, and more reliable and compatible in beta form than my Vista Installations! Excited, I proceeded to put it on ALL of my machines saving my Acer Aspire One for last-- I had no problems with any of the installations and ended up with a "better" computer than I started with- this was "first" for me with Microsoft so I did not anticipate this problem with my AAO since I knew people had installed Vista on it; this zippier, lighter, polished OS would certainly do better like all my other machines, right?

When I first got my AAO, I couldn't stand the "fool-proofing" hamstringing that is Linpus Lite, so I made a bootable USB with Unbuntu- no problem, great computer, worked fined. Then came Windows 7. Given my previous positive experiences with my other machines and 7, I decided to take the plunge. I put the Windows 7 image onto a Flash drive, 8 gigs, plugged it in and proceeded as I had with all the other machines... the process proceeded as it always had but failed in the final stage of rebooting after "completing installation". Now the netbook starts as usual, "Setup is Starting Services..." with the azure splashscreen and just as it seems to be ready to display the log-in page I get an error to the effect of "Windows could not compete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation."

I press any key.

"Setup will continue after restarting your computer."

shutdown, powerdown, blink to black. Restart. Bios options if need be..

"Please remove disk or other media.
    Press any key to restart."

Here is where the problem lies for me- no matter what I do in the boot order in the BIOS, the machine will not begin an Unbuntu (or Xp or Linpus for that matter!) installation from the flash drive or an SD card. (I do not have an external USB CD/DVD Rom drive- would that make a difference?)

No matter WHAT I do, the machine recycles through the entire previous process in a futile attempt to boot in 7 only to announce that it can't do it for whatever reason at the last minute. But I CAN'T get it to relinquish control and boot from another source so that I can reinstall a compatible OS. What am I doing wrong? What can I do? I'm at wits end... please help me- haven't seen anyone else on here with quite the same situation. I'd be so grateful to the person who knows how to fix this! THANKS!!! AJ :D

ajk3000, Jan 31, 2009
  2. ajk3000

vhalo

First of all my apologize about im spanish with a worst english level, I'll try to be clear.

I had same problem since read this post: http://www.electronicpulp.net/2009/01/2 ... -achieved/
    It's seems that is a space disk problem on the final step installation.
    Only you can do is, on first reboot, turn again to boot from usb and launch "Repair computer" option and compress disk to free some space disk and can be complete the windows 7 installation. Please, read this post to complete info.

Regards,
    Jordi

vhalo, Jan 31, 2009
  3. ajk3000

ajk3000

Jordi,

Gracias- dime tu e-mail hablo espanhol tambien- no hay problema! In English here: that idea occurred to me after posting last night so I formatted a thumb drive into NTSF (as I had seen in other posts that this seemed to matter and I had only used default settings previously) and put the 7 image on it. Happily it did something different this time after initial power on but my excitement quickly turned to chagrin as I keep getting the message: "BOOTMGR is missing. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart." Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del does nothing however and I have to cold restart by holding down the power key. If I don't have the thumb flash drive in after restart, I experience the original problem... so I'm back to Square One. But it seems I've got the boot process' attention somehow... it's a clue at least... :? :?: AJ

ajk3000, Jan 31, 2009
Ask a Question