Windows 7 on Aspire One ZG5

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Queops, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Queops

Queops

Hello all.
    I currently have the ZG5 model (which includes the fairly big harddrive 140+GB). I wanted to try Windows 7 on it but I have a couple of questions (I currently have the Windows XP fresh copy that comes with it, the one that you get from pressing ALT+F10 to boot the recovery manager).

My question is... If I install Windows 7 from a bootable USB drive and make it so it erases all my data on HDD can I still recover my windows XP version by pressing ALT+F10 at boot, when Windows 7 RC version ends? Has anyone tried this?

If it works this way please tell me how to install it.

If you can't recover it, how can I try Windows 7 without having regrets after I done it? :)

Thanks in advance.

Queops, Sep 19, 2009
  2. Queops

jerryt

Window 7 install will defeat the restore D2D function. You can image the entire hard drive with Acronis or ghost, if you want the ability to go back.

jerryt, Sep 19, 2009
  3. Queops

Queops

Should be better if I make a partition and multi-boot then?

Queops, Sep 19, 2009
  4. Queops

jerryt

The restore partition relies on a special MBR (Master Boot Record) if you multiboot, the special MBR is rewritten by the latest operating system. So Win 7 would write the MBR and no more restore function.

jerryt, Sep 20, 2009
Ask a Question