Windows 7 - SSD tweaking?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by lupusthethird, Nov 12, 2009.

1. lupusthethird

lupusthethird

I recently installed Windows 7 Enterprise edition on my AOA110. Previously I was running XP with FBWF, which most of you are aware is a ramdisk.

Since the switch to 7, Flashfire has helped immensely, but I'm still having troubles with the slow read/writes on the SSD. I'd prefer not to use EWF or FBWF because of not being able to save everything without doing /commit's.

It runs really smoothly right now but only after about 5-10 minutes of running. Seems like every time I boot up my SSD access light turns on for the longest time and nothing will respond. But once it goes off, everything is fine.

What kind of tweaking can I do to fix this? I was thinking a combination of Readyboost and moving the Temp and Virtual Memory to the SDHC card.

lupusthethird, Nov 12, 2009
  2. lupusthethird

Shad0wguy

Turn off virtual memory entirely. It is probably the main reason for the lagging.

Shad0wguy, Nov 12, 2009
  3. lupusthethird

h4ckii

Why not install Tiny 7?

I run Tiny 7, with A110 with 1GB Ram, Flashfire and it runs nicely.
    Also disable your page file completely!
    If you only have 512MB RAM, use a SD card with Readyboost.

h4ckii, Nov 13, 2009
  4. lupusthethird

Tamrac

That's superfetch... turn off that feature on slow SSD's.

Tamrac, Nov 13, 2009
  5. lupusthethird

lupusthethird

I haven't looked into it enough but I will I suppose. My main concerns are that I only have a key for the Enterprise edition, and I'm not sure if that's compatible if the tiny7 is a pre-made iso. However if it's one of those slimming programs that takes un-needed things from your existing disc/iso, then I can slim down my enterprise edition disc and it will surely be compatible.

I only have 1GB ram, and from my experience with FBWF, this causes lots of BSODs when the memory runs out thanks to memory leaks (Thanks, Firefox)

If I turn off virtual memory, then turn on Readyboost instead, will that make my SD card work as virtual memory instead?

lupusthethird, Nov 14, 2009
Ask a Question