Windows 7 + SSD tweaks

Discussion in 'Windows' started by trueimage, Jan 15, 2009.

1. trueimage

trueimage

Can someone please provide a list of tweaks to be done for Windows 7 on SSD?

I'll update this post with all the tips!

trueimage, Jan 15, 2009
  2. trueimage

furiousgibbon

From memory, this is what I've done. Still runs like a dog. 1.5GB RAM, 2GB Readyboost.

Turn disk indexing off: Control Panel - Indexing Options - Remove all
    Disabled System Restore: Control Panel - System - System Protection - Configure - Turn off system protection
    Disabled Pagefile: Control Panel - System - Advanced system settings - Settings (under Performance) - Advanced - Change - No paging file
    Disable Hibernation: Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Disk Cleanup - Hibernation File Cleaner

I also turned off write cache buffer flushing, but it made no difference and is probably a bad idea.

The following at command prompt (as administrator)
    Disable NTFS 8.3 filename creation: fsutil behavior set disable8dot3 1
    Disable NTFS change journal: fsutil usn deletejournal /d c:
    Disable NTFS last-accessed timestamp: fsutil behavior set disablelastaccess 1

furiousgibbon, Jan 16, 2009
  3. trueimage

Shad0wguy

Thanks, I was looking for that info as well.

Shad0wguy, Jan 16, 2009
  4. trueimage

furiousgibbon

if you want blazing speed, i just set up EWF on win7 and I now have Linpus levels of responsiveness. Shutdown (losing changes to disk) takes around 5 seconds now. Startup times are the same, but the first few minutes aren't plagued with performance killing SSD access. It's immediately responsive and fast. There are no more pauses in the middle of doing something. It's just FAST. Check out the EWF thread in the main Windows section for setup instructions.

furiousgibbon, Jan 17, 2009
  5. trueimage

sgrothe

I try to install ewf with Windows 7 on my Aspire One 8G.
    But i have a blue screen and the system reboot.
    I need a solution please

sgrothe, Jan 18, 2009
  6. trueimage

trueimage

Thanks I'm going to try this out.

I also just got a 4GB class 6 SDHC card, how is the best way to use that??

trueimage, Jan 19, 2009
  7. trueimage

furiousgibbon

i have an 8gb class 6 in the left SD slot which i use to save files, downloads etc. That way I only need to commit the EWF cache if I've installed an application or changed a system setting.

I wanted to get a Sandisk Extreme III 30mb/s edition, but they're more than twice the price of a standard class 6; not worth it for the kinda things I use the AA1 for.

For the person who is getting the BSOD on reboot, all I can suggest is rechecking the EWF setup instructions and make sure you've done everything correctly. I've had a single BSOD on win7 so far, which was when trying to load the thumbnail of a video file taken on a Canon Ixus camera. I don't think that was related to using EWF though.

furiousgibbon, Jan 19, 2009
  8. trueimage

trueimage

I know the "steps" are posted in the other thread, but can you give a quick outline for Win 7, anything you did differently?

I tried twice... first time it would only boot into repair mode, and I used last known good to get back, and second time when I rebooted it was just on the loading windows graphic for over 15 mins.... last known good again.

I really need this EWF setup, Win7 or not, or this netbook is useless... way too slow otherwise.

trueimage, Jan 19, 2009
  9. trueimage

furiousgibbon

The only thing I did different to the EWF thread was use the driver files (not NTLDR!) from the attached zip. I wouldn't imagine they'd differ from the ones in the XP Embedded SP2 ISO though.

I followed the steps in the EWF thread exactly, but I had to create the following entry from scratch, and it ONLY had the value EWF, not volsnap. I assume volsnap is an XP thing.

This already existed -> Key Name: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}

This didn't -> Name: UpperFilters
    Type: REG_MULTI_SZ
    Value: EWF (if the value of this key is volsnap, add EWF to the value on a new line)

My Windows 7 was installed on a clean disk (not dual-boot or anything), in a single partition. If i remember correctly EWF wasn't even enabled after rebooting, I had to enable it from the command line.

Triple check your registry entries, I noticed a typo on one of mine when I went back to check before rebooting, and i was being very careful!

furiousgibbon, Jan 20, 2009
  10. trueimage

hafiz

hi, just wanna add to the previous post..

ewf seemed to not be working if you use the pre config install where windows automatically creates the 200mb partition.
    either you remove this partition b4 begin installing or change the arcname when you edit your regs.

if im not mistaken - multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2) <---- partition 2 instead of one mentioned in the ewf tutos.
    one more thing, you must at least have 32mbs of unallocated space in the begining of the drive for ewf to load.

:)

hafiz, Jan 24, 2009
Ask a Question