Windows 7 Ultimate

Discussion in 'Windows' started by jcr, Dec 9, 2010.

1. jcr

jcr

Doesn't look like I can find a lot of info on installing Windows 7 Ultimate onto their Aspire One. I just picked up the D255 with the N550 (dual core). Planning to upgrade the Windows on it. Have people installed Windows 7 Ultimate on their netbooks and how does it perform? Slower than Starter? Need to disable features?

jcr, Dec 9, 2010
  2. jcr

elPaulio Moderator

Hi there,

I've got Windows 7 Professional running on my D250 with 2Gigs of RAM and it runs fine.
    I know Swarvey have Win 7 Ultimate on his with 2Gigs and he seems happy with it!

I haven't had to disable anything but I cannot vouch for if Swarvey has anything disabled.

As for compared to starter I cannot comment, but compared to XP I haven't noticed any realy difference. Just a shorter battery life, but if you've got Win 7 Starter on you'll have that problem already as its a Windows 7 thing, not an Acer thing!

Hope that helps

Paul :ugeek:

elPaulio, Dec 10, 2010
  3. jcr

Swarvey Moderator

When I first installed Win 7 Ultimate it worked fine, but since then I have RT7Lited my editions and do run with some stuff removed. It should run just fine as a fully fledged edition if you have at least 2 gig of RAM installed.

Swarvey, Dec 12, 2010
  4. jcr

ncc123

I have win7 ultimate on my AOA-150 with 1.5GB RAM.
    After install there were 3 items in Device Manager that had no drivers installed, but I remedied that with a little detective work. Not sure if Windows Updates would have eventually pulled in the correct driver for those three or not (I tried once, then remedied the situation myself instead).
    So far it runs very smoothly and is fast:no blue screens, no failing hardware, suspend/resume is fine. Certainly far less difficult to install and optimize (for me) than the other OS's I have tried: original XP/UNR/Puppy Linux Quirky 1.3/Xubuntu 9.04/Linux Mint 9/puppy 5.1. Of the others, quirky 1.3 seemed the best overall (also tried quirky 1.4, but the install CD failed pretty soon in the boot cycle so I abandoned it).
    I did strip ultimate of unnecessary services, tweaked the registry for speed etc, but the speed increase wasn't THAT noticeable.

ncc123, Dec 17, 2010
Ask a Question