windows network

Discussion in 'Linux' started by seniorbod, Nov 9, 2008.

1. seniorbod

seniorbod

Hi all
    How can I get my Aspire One using Linplus to see other PCs running Windows on my home network. I can access the internet via my router but can't see the other PC's. My daughter has a Asus EEE PC, also running Linplus, and that can see, and access, the other Windows PCs. By the way, I'm failry new to Linux so be gentle!

seniorbod, Nov 9, 2008
  2. seniorbod

Duncan_Rowland

Hiya, are you sure your daughters eeepc is running Linpus (and not Xandros - that is what it comes with)?
    If it is really runing Linpus can you just open up the network settings and (manually) copy the values across?
    (BTW, even if they're not the same OS the settings should be more or less the same).

Duncan_Rowland, Nov 10, 2008
  3. seniorbod

seniorbod

You're right - the Asus is running the Xandos file manager and the Acer is not. The asus file manager sees the windows network whilst the Acer can't. How do I resolve this issue?

seniorbod, Nov 10, 2008
  4. seniorbod

nedludd

Hi-

same question, I'm afraid....

is it just the file browser that is the problem - is there perhaps another which would work? I'm another linux novice so I find it just a little bit daunting....

nedludd, Nov 22, 2008
  5. seniorbod

rbil

If you do a mount of the cifs filesystem to a directory in your home directory, Thunar can't access it?

Cheers.

rbil, Nov 22, 2008
  6. seniorbod

Duncan_Rowland

Should do, I have a network storage disk (NAS) which I presume is similar.
    You can make a directory in "My Documents" and mount to that...
    $ mkdir Documents/NAS
    You then need to make sure the right modules are install and working
    $ sudo modprobe cifs
    $ echo "echo 0 > /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled" | sudo sh
    Then you can mount the drive, for example I do...
    $ sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.1.198/Duncan ~/Documents/NAS -ousername=admin,password=admin
    And these last three steps can be run as a script or automatically on boot as desired.
    -Duncan.

Duncan_Rowland, Nov 22, 2008
  7. seniorbod

stocko

I run Konqueror which is part of the KDE suite. It's brilliant, I have 13 windows servers on my network and Konqueror sees and opens all of them.

Just open a terminal window and enter "sudo yum install kdebase"

It's a reasonably large install, but worth it.

stocko, Nov 23, 2008
  8. seniorbod

glee

Neat installer!

But how do I run it?

glee, Nov 30, 2008
  9. seniorbod

stocko

Open your file manager and go to /usr/share/applications/kde and you should see several Konqueror desktop configuration files.

Open each one with Mousepad until you find one that is titled "kfmclient.desktop" I have found that this is the best client to run.

You can double clik the desktop file to run, you can drag it onto your desktop if you have that configured, or you can add it to the simple Acer desktop the same way that you would have added other apps like VLC.

stocko, Dec 1, 2008
  10. seniorbod

iconiumcs

ive done install konqueror, go to /usr/share/applications/kde,

seems i cant find "kfmclient.desktop"

whats the next step?

arvin
    philippines

iconiumcs, Dec 26, 2008
  11. seniorbod

yodersj

It sounds like you might have tried to type in "kfmclient.desktop" on the command line. If so, it is not an executable file itself. However, if you want to add it to the default Aspire One desktop you'll need it to add to the XML file. See here for some information on doing that - http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=123&p=1154

An alternative to konquer is smb4k, which will "mount" the Windows share to a folder. Then you can use the Thunar file manager if you prefer it. Konquer as a file manager though is my preference. Besides Windows shares (SMB) it is also great for SSH/SCP. Just type the following in the URL bar:
    fish://[username]@[server]
    It will also do FTP and even Obex (bluetooth), with the right hardware and bluetooth libraries.

yodersj, Dec 27, 2008
  12. seniorbod

tee

I have been fiddling for over a week now and i can just about see my network, but i have to retype the command line every time (tho I now have it saved in a textfile so i can cut and paste it) is there a way that i can automatically restore the network connection everytime i switch on?

many thanks,

tee, Dec 27, 2008
Ask a Question