Windows PPTP Client

Discussion in 'Networking' started by eshafran, Sep 9, 2008.

1. eshafran

eshafran

Has anyone had any success connecting to a Windows PPTP server with the AA1? I have to connect to several corporate networks and although I downloaded the PPTP package, it's pretty cryptic. When I dug deeper, I found that it was reporting that my version of PPPD (or perhaps my kernel) lacks mppe support. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

eshafran, Sep 9, 2008
  2. eshafran

IMSancho

I've managed to compile the MPPE kernel module, but am still having trouble with GRE not getting past my router. I know the router allows PPTP pass-through as my windows machine can connect fine and I've compiled and loaded the kernel GRE module but no luck so far. I'll upload the MPPE module when I get home for you to try (compiled for the default A1 kernel so should be fine) and see how you go.

IMSancho, Sep 10, 2008
  3. eshafran

IMSancho

Sorry for the lateness, here is the module, save it to /lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/kernel/drivers/net and as root run 'depmod -a'. Then you should be able to 'modprobe ppp_mppe' and try your VPN again. Let me know how you go because a successful pptp connection still eludes me, I still can't seem to get GRE packets past my router :(

IMSancho, Sep 12, 2008
  4. eshafran

David Brown

I need to link an Aspire One to a VPN via PPTP and came to a stop when I found out that MPPE was not included in the kernel.

Thanks IMSancho for the MPPE driver, it works a dream.
    I only ran the depmod -a. Not sure what the modprobe does but it was not recognized and worked without it.

David

David Brown, Oct 16, 2008
  5. eshafran

linker3000

Just to add my notes which got everything working for me....

With reference to this site: http://fedorasolved.org/network-solutio ... ent-config
    I installed pptp as follows:

Code:
    su -c 'rpm -Uvh http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/yum/stable/fc8/pptp-release-current.noarch.rpm'
    I downloaded IMSancho's MPPE module (THANKS!) and installed it as follows:

Code:
    sudo cp ppp_mppe.ko /lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/kernel/drivers/net
    sudo depmod -a
    sudo modprobe ppp_mppe
    I did download pppconfig from the site mentioned above, but it had a font problem and was a pain to navigate. Instead of debugging it, I just used pppsetup instead. In my case, the remote LAN address is 192.168.200.0 so I created a script containing the following:

Code:
    pptpsetup --create myvpn --server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx --username myusername --password mytopsecretpassword  --encrypt --start
    route add -net 192.168.200.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev ppp0

NB: Script has to be run as root.

Replace xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with the IP address or DNS name of your remote VPN server - in my case this was the 'public' VPN address assigned to a Draytek router at Head Office.

Adding the route is important otherwise you cannot get past your remote vpn gateway and onto the remote network.

Hoo-flippin-ray, after days of unsuccessful fiddling with vpnc trying to get a IPSec tunnel going at least I can now do PPTP!

Edit: Since doing the above, I have now run:

Code:
    sudo yum install NetworkManager-pptp
    Which has upgraded Network Manager and installed the pptp plugin. I can now setup, start and stop VPN connections through Network Manager.

Edit: I then discovered that the new NetworkManager kept prompting me for my wireless (WPA) keys but this was fixed with reference to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1395&p=43799&hilit=wpa+key#p43799

To fix the problem, I used the following command:

Code:
    sudo vi /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop
    I then changed the Exec line to read:

Code:
    Exec=sudo nm-applet --sm-disable

linker3000, Nov 25, 2008
  6. eshafran

philh99

Hi, I can't find pptpsetup in any of the repositories, can you help?
    I get the font problem in pptpconfig too, so can't use it.
    Also, I've added NetworkManager-pptp, but I don't see anything different on connection manager, am I missing the obvious?

philh99, Nov 29, 2008
  7. eshafran

linker3000

Hmm, I presumed it came down with pptconfig from

Code:
    su -c 'rpm -Uvh http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/yum/stable/fc8/pptp-release-current.noarch.rpm'
    ??

linker3000, Nov 29, 2008
  8. eshafran

philh99

Hi, no, it doesn't come as part of that package unfortunately.

Also, the yum command to install networkmanager-pptp doesn't work as it can't find it in the repo:

[root@localhost user]# sudo yum install NetworkManager-pptp
    Setting up Install Process
    Parsing package install arguments
    No package NetworkManager-pptp available.
    Nothing to do
    [root@localhost user]#

I have reinstalled my One before trying these commands.

philh99, Dec 2, 2008
  9. eshafran

philh99

Thank you for your help, however, I could not get this to work. As I now had confidence that I could reinstall the Linus OS as I've done it a few times, I trashed it in favour of UNR which, after a bit of hassle getting a USB boot from the .img file works flawlessly. I have ran Ubuntu on my desktop PC for the last few years, so I'm really familiar with it.

I was able to install the pptp within minutes of bootup and connected into work via RDp to a windows box.

This is a setup I am very comfortable with.
    I would really have liked to get the Linpus working on this, even though I had logged this with Acer themselves who told me this was a hardware fault and to ring their 50p per minute line to ask for a replacement.

Thank you very much for your efforts, help and investigation.

philh99, Dec 3, 2008
Ask a Question