windows root system32 hal.dll help!!!

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by britbulldog, Jun 30, 2009.

1. britbulldog

britbulldog

right ive just got a new aspire one 150Bb running intel atom, my problem is once ive done all the windows updates and finished i reboot and i get the message "windows root system32 hal.dll" please re-install this driver!!!!!!, ive rang acer on ther 50p a minute helpline and he was useless and didnt know why i was getting this issue but said he'd had a few calls about this problem lately????? my question is has anyone else had this problem and or know of a fix, ive been through the erecovery 3 times now and its getting on my wick as it always happens when ive finished setting up my notebook!! UPDATE was told turning off automatic updates would solve the problem and do windows updates manually!! so did this did all updates installed all my software doing all the proper things after installing, then i went and had something to eat shutting it down came back switched it back on and guess!!!!!
    <windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
    please re-install a copy of the file above.
    im going to contact acer tomorrow as ive wasted nearly 2days messing with this thing and i will either go crazy or throw it up the wall, will post what response i get from acer, unless someone comes up with an answer

britbulldog, Jun 30, 2009
  2. britbulldog

arexxk

ya this has been happening to me recently and it's a real pain. I've tried multiple distros of xp and reinstalled many times but no avail. However im tring to install this next to OS X and I've done it before, but for some reason now it's having issues. I'll try n get back to you if I figure this out :x

arexxk, Jul 1, 2009
  3. britbulldog

britbulldog

ok thanks acer have been no help wghat so ever

britbulldog, Jul 1, 2009
  4. britbulldog

Forone

Googling suggests it's a messy problem that's normally fixed booting from an XP CD-ROM to rebuild the .dll file or reinstall XP. If the machine is new, I'd see about returning it, especially since HAL refers to "Hardware Abstraction Layer" and may indicate a hardware defect.

Forone, Jul 2, 2009
  5. britbulldog

britbulldog

ok thought id drop a note to let you know whats happening, i brought an external drive so i could try and repair the problem from the xp disk that id got, that didnt work just made things worse it wouldnt even go in erecovery mode after that!! so gave up and sent it back to acer its now at the status of repair???? im waiting for that phone call to say they want some money to fix it!!!but as ive only had for a week and only tried to do all windows update and install the dongle software they can go wistle

britbulldog, Jul 8, 2009
  6. britbulldog

Forone

Doesn't sound like you've done anything to void the warranty. Good luck.

Forone, Jul 8, 2009
  7. britbulldog

britbulldog

ok just spoke to acer they say theyve fixed the problem and will be sending it back tomorrow, they say they receipted the harddrive ( cleaned al the contacts and fully tested the system) and re-installed the op system, they said the op system that was first installed in taiwan was corrupt and missing some files??? i asked for the acer op system disk which i thought all pc's should be shipped with and they wanted £48.00!! so will wait and see when it arrives!!

britbulldog, Jul 8, 2009
  8. britbulldog

britbulldog

ok got my aspireone back today,i uninstalled mcafee, microsoft works, microsoft 2007 home + student, intervideo windvd. i installed nero 7, utorrent, bitche, fast avi joiner, avi splitter, hi q recorder, 3 mobile broadband dongle software, microsoft office 2007 full, peer guardian2, firefox, xp codec pack, avg free, imgburn, power archiver, samsung mobile software then windows update, first lot of windows updates went ok resarted fine!!, then did another windows update which left 9 updates to do which were critical updates so installed them!! as so as i did a restart "windows root system32 hal.dll" now am i correct in thinking that the aspireone is capable of running these programs??? and would uninstalling any of the above programs have this effect?? im really losing my temper with this amchine as its not a quick process doing the updates!! tomorrow im going to go through the windows update process without uninstalling anything apart from mcafee and without the second lot of critical updates to see what happens! if it happens again i will be requesting a new machine from acer or a full refund

britbulldog, Jul 13, 2009
  9. britbulldog

Forone

With a new machine I usually run Windows Update as first order of business before deleting or installing anything. I also run CCleaner (file and registry) after that, surprising how much crap is there even on a new OEM installation. I wonder if McAfee uninstalls cleanly. And I've had trouble uninstalling Office once. These days I use the Revo Uninstaller (advanced mode, delete everything) and follow up with CCleaner when I remove large applications, and they've worked well. [UPDATE: To be clear, I got rid of McAfee this way, as well as Win DVD - just use WMP with the codec pack and Daemon Tools for .ISOs - but I haven't deleted Works. A lot of users seem to run AVG no problem, not my preference.]

I'm still wondering if you don't have a hardware problem if that same .dll error message is recurring after a complete reinstall. On the other hand maybe something you've installed is looking for something that isn't there, like an optical drive. I'm not familiar with a lot of them. I'd suggest reboots after each application is installed to see if that triggers the error, instead of piling a lot of installs together and making XP sort them out on the next reboot.

Forone, Jul 14, 2009
  10. britbulldog

britbulldog

been doing reboots after each app, thats why its been taking so long and is so annoying also ive had it crash on various reboots from different apps??

britbulldog, Jul 14, 2009
  11. britbulldog

britbulldog

right just a brand new one delivered today, just booted it up, went to change the name on the xp start up and half the keyboard doesnt work!! do they get monkeys to build these things??? and are they not tested before theyr shipped im really starting to wish i hadnt bothered and gone with samsung nc10 and im still tempted to cancel everything and get one!!

britbulldog, Jul 16, 2009
Ask a Question