Windows Server 2008

Discussion in 'Windows' started by dmdrummond, Jan 27, 2009.

1. dmdrummond

dmdrummond

I recently got my aspire one, and have put many, many operating systems on it (different linux distros, windows xp, windows 7 beta, windows server 2008). The one I have settled with for now (I will probably switch to windows 7 when it is released) is Windows Server 2008. I was wondering if anyone else is running this, what their experiences with it are and what optimisations you made.

I have a windows server license from dreamspark as I am a qualifying student. Maybe others would qualify too.

I installed the Desktop Experience feature for the eye candy, made some other changes to optimise the system for use as a workstation (from http://www.win2008workstation.com/wordpress/ which is a fantastic resource), modified some registry settings to install a good antivirus. Vista drivers all work pretty much perfectly. Office works great.

From accounts I have read on the internet WS2008 is supposed to run more stable, and faster than Vista. I cannot verify this, as I never installed Vista on the Netbook. However my experience is that it works great on the Aspire One.

dmdrummond, Jan 27, 2009
  2. dmdrummond

frandu

Interesting.... truly interesting.

Would you mind to tell us the model of your aspire one? It is SSD? How would Win 2008 performance with only 512?

Thanks and share more about your experience!

frandu, Jan 27, 2009
  3. dmdrummond

dmdrummond

Oh yes, of course...

Its the 1GB model 120GB Hard disk, originally with Linpus Lite. Sorry I'm not sure how the SSD version would fare.

Looking at the current RAM usage, it's taking about 550M with only firefox and the anti-virus running, however I intend to go through the running services, and see which ones I don't need to try to bring that figure down.
    I have also installed Visual Studio 2008, which seems to run fine. I'll be able to expand on that a little more on Thursday after I start back to the computer modelling course of my Physics degree.

Being a big fan (still, after all these years) of the Bioware/Black Isle RPG games, I have Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and BGII installed. The first two games play really well, but there are some issues with BGII, with the mouse being quite slow to respond to movements on the trackpad, however I think this is a windows server issue, not the aspire one, as it should handle it easily. These games look fantastic on the small screen, especially when compared to 640x480 on my 24" lcd!

It is responsive, boot time can be on the long side, as can shutdown time, but then I am used to booting Linux, which can be a lot faster.

So, has anyone else tried Windows Server 2008 on the Acer Aspire One?

dmdrummond, Jan 28, 2009
Ask a Question