Windows swap file on sdhc card?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by xzb6np, Oct 17, 2008.

1. xzb6np

xzb6np

I have a 4 gig sdhc card in the left slot and I am attempting to set the windows swap file to run from it in hopes of saving battery and picking up better performance since the sdhc should be faster than a hard drive.

I went into the advanced properties of my computer and turned off the swap file for drive c and set up a fixed size swap file on drive d (sdhc card). Windows say cool and reboots but it keeps using the swap file on the c drive. When I go back into the dialog box and check it says that there is no swap file being used by drive c and it shows there is one on drive d.

When I open up windows explorer and look at drive d the swap file is not there. Yes I do have the folder options set to display system files.

I even deleted the swap file off of drive C but it puts it back even thought the advanced options are set not to use drive d.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

xzb6np, Oct 17, 2008
  2. xzb6np

nchntr

My SDHC is slower than my Harddrive. Page files are constantly read and written. I am under the impression that Writing to a Solid state memory card reduces its life (are there not a limited number of changes allowed before chips start going bad? Eventho this number is in the 10,000s)

nchntr, Oct 17, 2008
  3. xzb6np

Veazer

Give eBoostr a shot, it can actually take advantage of both slots if you had two cards that you wanted to use together.

http://www.eboostr.com/

Veazer, Oct 17, 2008
  4. xzb6np

goofball

XP will not let you put the swap file on a removable drive, that's the problem being run into. It's to protect the user (and OS) from having it crash if the drive was to be stopped/removed.

goofball, Oct 18, 2008
  5. xzb6np

Veazer

It can be forced using alternative drivers for the flash media but i would try the eboostr solution first.

Veazer, Oct 18, 2008
Ask a Question