Windows XP 512MB 8GB

Discussion in 'Windows' started by arthurinparis, Nov 16, 2008.

1. arthurinparis

arthurinparis

Hey guys,

I may go with XP on my AAO but the downside is that it is the Linpus version. As anyone tried to install it or could refer me to a thread please?

Much appreciated,

Arthur

arthurinparis, Nov 16, 2008
  2. arthurinparis

Tamrac

Dozens of threads about XP... here's the most obvious one, and it's a sticky thread....

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=57

Tamrac, Nov 16, 2008
  3. arthurinparis

stoker98

There are three solutions:
    * open up your One and perform expensive and dangerous heart surgery with new drives, RAM &c.
    * try to install and run XP from a USB drive (it has been done, but looks difficult and messy)
    * use the free software fix that I have described right here:
    viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6921

Since the One can run XP really well with the free software fix, I suggest you start with the third option, which is what I am using.

Stoker

stoker98, Nov 16, 2008
  4. arthurinparis

arthurinparis

Thanks for the answers fellas, and I am looking at the drivers. I don't feel like getting my AAO into some surgery :D since it took me a while to get my Linpus up and running the way I want it, so installing RAM could actually take years :D !!!

However, since the technical specs are not the same on Linpus and XP versions, are the drivers on Acer's website compatible with the AAO 110?

I'll also get to do some reading with all the threads,

Cheers,

Arthur

5. arthurinparis

Tamrac

Yep. The only difference is the SSD and HD. Both of w/c do not require any drivers. Just make sure you install in FAT32 on SSD. Good luck! 512mb is enough for most tasks in XP. Just don't expect things to fly along when you open memory hungry applications.

Tamrac, Nov 16, 2008
  6. arthurinparis

arthurinparis

Yeah that's what I thought I would do. However, a big point that kept me from switching from Linpus is the LED for Wifi. I know it sounds cheesy but I like them lights :D...Would they work with a non-Acer XP version?
    Since XP ain't Linux I assume, I can't go around and add some lines and stuff, so that's would be GREAT would they work right out of the box !!!
    If someone had tried with xD and SDHC cards that would be useful as well !!!

I'm also downloading a copy of Ubuntu 8.10, just in case I miss Linux :D...

Cheers,

Arthur

7. arthurinparis

Tamrac

The LED wifi activity indicator works... the right side light... it's the left side (on or off) LED that doesn't. No big deal if you ask me. It's the wifi activity LED that's important. :D

Tamrac, Nov 17, 2008
  8. arthurinparis

Tex

Left led is for 3G :)

as for xp on a 110, I am running a tinyxp image made by Ron[nl] everything works great and it's fast to install (~20 minutes)

Tex, Nov 17, 2008
  9. arthurinparis

Guest Guest

Ask a Question