Windows XP failing to boot

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Dailen1, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Dailen1

Dailen1

I need my Acer Aspire one working again asap, I depend on it for a couple classes now that it WAS working perfectly before it "bricked". I have already spent about 24 hours working on researching what to do to get it working over the past 2 weeks which has lead me to basically failing a couple class tests.

So what is it's problem? Every time I turn it on, right after going past the Windows XP loading, it shows a black screen then blue screen with some text.

Here is the text:

STOP: C0000218 {Registry File Failure}
    The registry cannot load the hive (file):
    \SystemRoot]System32\Config\SOFTWARE
    or its log or alternate.
    It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Beginning dump of physical memory
    Physical memory dump complete.
    Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further
    assistance.

(I got this text by taking a picture then typing what it said)

What I have got so far: I have a corrupt hive file and need to somehow replace it with a non corrupt file. I have downloaded a copy of the Acer Aspire One Windows XP recovery iso.
    What I have been trying to find out: How to access files from a USB drive considering the Acer Aspire One does not support booting USB drives. Once that is done, it would be nice if I had a step by step guide to fixing this problem instead of spending another 6 hours researching it myself like I have done a couple times already for each new problem as to why I can't fix my Acer Aspire One.

Thank you, any help is greatly appreciated.

This netbook seemed so amazing for the 3 weeks it worked. I realize this is my fault for chosing an Acer product which has a reputation for below average quality. I shall avoid this mistake in the future and help my friends avoid problems like this too.

Dailen1, Sep 29, 2008
  2. Dailen1

jaredboy

You can boot from usb, just change boot order in bios.

Then boot it with a win xp cd, get it in recovery mode, run chkdsk/r and boot fix and you`ll be fine!
    Had the same problem with mine last week!

jaredboy, Sep 29, 2008
  3. Dailen1

Dailen1

How do I access the files on my USB drive? It shows only a black screen when I boot the USB.

Dailen1, Sep 29, 2008
  4. Dailen1

Dailen1

Here's a video of my aa1 in action!

Dailen1, Sep 29, 2008
  5. Dailen1

Dailen1

Wow, this is ridiculous, Acer is shit.

I cannot afford sending this thing back for repairs, 2 weeks is already way too long and now it will be gone for months...

Dailen1, Sep 29, 2008
  6. Dailen1

jaredboy

I just used a usb cd-rom player and booted it with a xp cd.
    You could maybe make a bootable harddrive, but iv'e never done that.
    A quick search inn google gave me this: http://www.ngine.de/article/id/8

jaredboy, Sep 30, 2008
  7. Dailen1

Tamrac

I'm sorry to hear your troubles.... but don't blame your aspire one entirely.... be reminded that ALL hardware will have these windows problems. And they are all at random, sometimes you have it, sometimes you don't. I got errors on my $2000 dollar thinkpad too. Most times it's some software application causing these drive errors, or an improper shutdown. Don't blame the hardware entirely, since you said it worked flawlessly before this happened..... It's most likely an XP glitch, just do a recovery console checkdsk, if that does not work. Reinstall XP(I'm 100% sure you have done this before on previous non Acer PC/notebooks too hehe) ;)

Tamrac, Oct 2, 2008
  8. Dailen1

judeh101

You might have done something that corrupted the file, possibly, you installed new software?
    Try to re-flash the BIOS, like actually upgrade the BIOS using the usb flash drive..

judeh101, Oct 2, 2008
Ask a Question