Windows XP or Linux ???

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ramdiane, Sep 3, 2008.

1. ramdiane

ramdiane

Hi I was wondering if someone could help me please.

I have always used Windows Operating system for everything...

I was looking to get the Aspire One for my other half who will be using it purely for general browsing, playing videos from BBC Iplayer and Youtube, listening to music etc...

I am a little stuck on which operating system to purchase the AA1 with as I am worried about compatibility issues such as drivers, software and being able to play AVI videos streamlessly.

Could anyone please advise which would be the best one to purchase so that it requires minimal maintenance? Also I don't want to have to install plugins all the time as well as codecs.

Please share any experience good or bad with the Linux operating system..

Also does anyone know when the AA1 is going to be shipped in the UK with the 6 cell battery included with 1gb RAM and 160GB HDD? Think the model

Thanks

ramdiane, Sep 3, 2008
  2. ramdiane

A_I

I am not pro in Linux but I love it. I am for linux, it requires maintenance but I am enjoying this process personally! :mrgreen:

A_I, Sep 3, 2008
  3. ramdiane

Altermac

I've put Xp on my A110L last week: Horrible Performance, but better support for Bluetooth, better VGA, stable Networks and it took several days to install XP with all drivers and applications. Windows uses the lame SSD nearly every second, after booting it takes more than 2 Minutes before you can actually use your A110. And you are booting a lot when installing some software or drivers. The SSD of the A110 is simply to slow for WinXP. :?

At last I did a complete Image of XP and today I will restore Linpus. Maybe I will restore Win XP someday, but for now I will stick with Linpus.

I hope Acer will update the missing Bluetooth, do better external VGA-Support, better WLAN/Wifi and make it easier to install Applications to the desktop. I'm getting sick by messing around with thunar and mousepad, editing config-files and trying to add functions unsupported by Acer. :( For the next few Months I will try using it "Out of the box".

You want Win XP, get a A150. Don't try this with a A110.

Altermac, Sep 3, 2008
  4. ramdiane

dattaway

Linux has a driver for every multimedia codec known. Once you get everything set up, its very low maintenance unless you like to muck with things.

I've been using Linux for over 10 years and there's no way I'd turn back. Its a different culture and that's the learning curve.

dattaway, Sep 3, 2008
  5. ramdiane

ramdiane

So are you saying that I should get XP for ease of use and compatibility with virtually anything out there?

The model I was talking about was the AOA150-1447 or somethign like that. Please see Home page for details..

I went to play with an AA1 in the shop earlier and was concerned about lack of printer support and fact that there was no bluetooth included, which i would need..

ramdiane, Sep 3, 2008
  6. ramdiane

MusicMeister

Slap a USB bluetooth adapter and you're good to go. Some are opening their AAO's and installing micro bluetooh adapters inside the case.

Nearly every laser printer out there support PCL4/5/6 - this is the standard printer control language used for HP printers. It means you might lack some of the advanced features, but you CAN print to most printers. Postscript support is VERY good on Linux.

Many Inkjet printers support older inkjet printer drivers and you can get them to work.

All in all, it might take a little more to get printing up and running but it's no worse than the 'planned obsolesence' of some of the other hardware products tied to a windows OS. It just means that you have to plan your hardware (printer) purchase a little more carefully.

And one more thing to remember... you can always put the document onto a USB thumbdrive and print from a windows machine or mac if you need to. It's a minor inconvenience at best...

MusicMeister, Sep 3, 2008
  7. ramdiane

ramdiane

Thank you music meister!!

So what about playback of DVI or videos from youtube etc..

will they suffer in quality as well?

Thanks

ramdiane, Sep 3, 2008
  8. ramdiane

rash.m2k

Been using windows for everything? I think it's about time we changed that.

I have an AA1 150 with 120GB HD, if you have this one then install windows + linux otherwise it's not worth as you don't have enough space, I have Windows and Linux installed on my PC and both work perfecly fine and wireless works.

I would install openSUSE as thats the easiest to install and works best. I used a Sandisk Cruzer U3 compatibale USB disk to install windows and Linux - SOOOOO much easier than trying to make a bootable USB stick.

Also try and install from the openSUSE DVD as it has more packages also look on the openSUSE website on how to get the wireless working.

So far I am extremely happy with it, ALL blue button keys work, wireless takes 5 mins to get running and 3D acceleration works perfectly.

No they don't, getting AVI files plus all other video and audio files in openSUSE is a 1 click process.

rash.m2k, Sep 3, 2008
  9. ramdiane

Fuerst

I have been an aspire one owner for only a few days now, and as a long-time Windows-user cannot recommend the Linux-version,
    since the Acer service is almost non existant. from my experience, you will - for example - fail, if you try to install skype.
    and fpr Highspeed modems for UMTS/HSDPA there are absolutely no drivers yet.

If your wife intends to use the little machine most of the time at home, then it shgould be okay

regds
    Christian

Fuerst, Sep 4, 2008
  10. ramdiane

Fuerst

from my short experience I can say: unless you have plenty of spare time, go for XP.the learning process for Linux seems to be huge, and there are no short-cuts at all. and nobody seems to be able to give you clear instructions since there are dozens of linuxes around. Now I understand why this software has never managed to become really popular despite its meanwhile clearly pretty usabla desktop and usability

and, by the way, no way to use one of these smart and fast UMTS/HSDPA modems: "sorry, no drivers, we don#t support Linux" say providers

and to get skype going? so far I haven't managed

but besides that it is said to be stable

cheers
    Christian

Fuerst, Sep 4, 2008
  11. ramdiane

edgecrush3r

On the AAO150 Just install both ;)

I am quite happy with XP once its slimmed down, using muliboot i still got plenty of space getting my daily dosis of linux for an balanced meal :D .

edgecrush3r, Sep 4, 2008
  12. ramdiane

pdox

I only tried out Linpus for a short bit but I was already faced with problems with reading photos from my camera's XD card with the card reader. The problem appeared right out of the box, while reading the card's contents, the entire system would just crash and hang. Yesterday, I made the switch the XP and ya it's slower but for what it is, i am quite satisfied. i posted my experience and two vids here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2730

pdox, Sep 4, 2008
  13. ramdiane

enolinux

I have been using AAO for couple of weeks and installed few other OS on it but I found out the original distro are the best. Acer and Linpus has done a great job on this.

enolinux, Sep 4, 2008
  14. ramdiane

rbil

You have got this right!

Cheers.

rbil, Sep 4, 2008
  15. ramdiane

akronbudz

Just about everything you need to modify the Linpus install can be found in this forum if you take the time to look for it. I had absolutely no problem installing Skype and having it work without any issues just by following the instructions provided by other users. If your expectation of this machine is to be your main laptop or PC then you may want to reconsider normal sized laptops that pack more punch (and cost more $$$).

akronbudz, Sep 4, 2008
  16. ramdiane

ramdiane

So how did you manage to get both operating systems on the AA150?
    And more importantly how do you enable multi-boot? that would be interesting to have..

Please explain..

This message to edgecrush..

ramdiane, Sep 4, 2008
  17. ramdiane

mintymiller

The Linpus OS has its limitations, but it's perfectly adequate for most users of the Aspire One. 3G connectivity using external USB modems is supported, provided you know how to configure the software and a fix to make it easier to set up with the Connection Manager is on the way soon. So far, I've installed Skype 2.0 , VLC, RealPlayer and the Gimp (good photoshop substitute) without any problems or fuss. Everything works as it should, including the BBC iPlayer (best in small screen mode for smooth playback). Both AVI and MP4 movies play back smoothly through VLC, which can handle most video codecs. It's wireless sensitivity is very good (far better than my Macbook Pro) and I'm very happy with the performance overall. I even like the Open Office suite although serious users should convert and save in the OpenOffice format for best results. Powerpoint presentations, for example, will take forever to open in OpenOffice unless you do so.

My only gripe is with the trackpad and its buttons, which are crap. It's too easy to corrupt something you're typing when your thumb or a finger accidentally touches the trackpad. You can switch it off in the Touchpad settings. Best doing this and buying a USB mini-mouse for best experience.

Linpus Linux is also far more stable than XP, virtually immune from viruses and malware and has a much smaller footprint so it fits onto the Acer's tiny SSD with lots of room to spare.

mintymiller, Sep 4, 2008
Ask a Question