Windows XP - Problem w/ Flash Drive Formatting

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Juiceski, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Juiceski

Juiceski

Excuse my ignorance, first post on the boards. I'm trying to install XP from a 2 gb flash drive onto my Aspire One 8GB SSD 512MB Linpus Model. I'm following the guide from the front page (http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=4900), however I'm stuck when it comes to formatting my thumb drive into FAT or NTFS. PeToUSB fails to recognize the thumb drive when its plugged in (even though Vista recognizes it no problem). Then I tried using HP USB Format Tool, it appears to work fine, however when I go to 'Target the USB Drive' from MultiBoot10 and I select the drive (F drive), it gives me an error saying 'F has NOT FAT FAT32 NTFS Format and is not valid".

I've tried formatting the thumb drive with the Vista tool as well as and it's still failing to recognize. I'm not sure if I'm missing a key step or if I am just having a senior moment with this right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Another note, these boards convinced me to buy this thing...it rocks and I love it. Just would love it even more with XP!

Juiceski, Sep 6, 2008
  2. Juiceski

Brian

Hi. We both seem to be struggling to do the same thing, namely install XP from a USB pen drive. I decided to take a slightly different route in that I wanted to first reduce the size of XP - I did this using nlite and got it down to 151MB which seemed pretty good. I then copied this onto the USB drive together with the Acer drivers and I'm now trying to figure out its installation on the One. Perhaps we could keep in touch and compare notes.
    Brian - also in the senior group <grin>

Brian, Sep 6, 2008
  3. Juiceski

goofball

goofball, Sep 6, 2008
  4. Juiceski

Juiceski

I've used this guide as well. My problem is that PeToUSB isn't recognizing my flash drive when plugged in. I can't select my drive from the pull down menu; the program says no drives detected (tried as both removable and fixed). Again, windows recognizes the drive fine and I've been able to copy and paste my XPSOURCE folder to the drive with no problem.

Can I copy XPSOURCE, Acer drivers, and boot from the USB to install XP on the AAO? I'm not exactly sure what following the guide will accomplish that this approach will not so perhaps a clarification here would be helpful.

I'm not sure why I am having trouble with PeToUSB but I've downloaded multiple copies and none seem to recognize this drive. Is there a workaround to using PeToUSB? Thanks guys.

Juiceski, Sep 6, 2008
  5. Juiceski

sunesune

Hi

I just bought aspir one with 120 gb and linux. feels like i should have bought it with xp from the beginning....

I want to install xp

I manage to do the usb stick boot, but when i start it on aspire only tells my to remove usb, it will not boot , i chanced it so it should boot from usb first...

really need some help...

thanks

david

sunesune, Sep 6, 2008
  6. Juiceski

nighthawk

Hi David, to do what you say is a bit of a mission, but here is the post about how to do that:

Also for disks over 2gb in size i posted a bit near the end. Note: you should have a clean usb disk for this operation as it will wipe the data already present.

If you follow the guide to the letter you shouldnt have too much of a problem, unless your stick is over 2gb, which is why i posted my response later in the post.

nighthawk, Sep 6, 2008
  7. Juiceski

Thom Holwerda

I experienced the same problem the OP did, and the solution for me was to use a different guide and tool (this one). This one give you the option of using either PeToUSB or a tool from HP, and while the former failed to recognise my 2 and 4GB stick, the HP tool worked just splendid.

Thom Holwerda, Sep 6, 2008
  8. Juiceski

Brian

Brian, Sep 6, 2008
  9. Juiceski

Juiceski

My problem is that even when using the HP USB Tool, everything appears to work properly, however when I go to select which drive to use to send the XPSOURCE folder to, I receive the error of not being FAT FAT32 NTFS.

I am completely stuck here guys, tried it ten times if I had to guess. The drive is a 2GB Imation Swivel thumb drive. I'm assuming its not the stick because Windows lets me add files to the drive just fine.

Juiceski, Sep 6, 2008
Ask a Question