Windows XP Ram Usage, Help Me Reduce It :)

Discussion in 'Windows' started by burnttoast, Jan 7, 2009.

1. burnttoast

burnttoast

Hello all,

I have been lurking the forums for a few weeks now and have read many threads and learned a lot of info. I just picked up an AAO (160gb) last night and did the basic maintenance(uninstalled everything I did not need: Works, MacAfee, Office Demo, etc..) and removed a few things from startup. But still when windows loads it starts up using 172mb of ram. I would like to get this down to the 90-120 mark if possible, without a fresh install of windows.

Are there anythings I can remove to reduce windows memory without having an major impact? I saw realtek has an app that runs in the background that was using 23mb, I was going to disable it but was afraid I would then have no sound. Also, I saw a thread that said to disable D2D but was unsure if that was a SSD version AAO tweak or for both. Additionally, I did not know if that was only a start-up tweak.

Anyway, any pointers to get this memory usage down would be great. Also, start-up tips are also welcome. Right now it starts pretty quick, but there is always room for improvement.

Thanks!

burnttoast, Jan 7, 2009
  2. burnttoast

mmad

nlite a disc to remove unnecessary components and services

mmad, Jan 7, 2009
  3. burnttoast

Penguins

I wouldn't say that's heavy memory usage to be honest. My linux AA1 is currently using around 200MB and my XP desktop uses a lot more.

How quick does it start? Things like not having a desktop background, using the windows classic look instead of a theme, as well as removing unneeded services and programs from the startup with start->run->msconfig can all help a little.

Penguins, Jan 7, 2009
  4. burnttoast

burnttoast

It's fairly quick on start-up, I really have no complaints on start-up time. I was just looking to keep the resources down, when I saw what realtek was using I was like :eek:. My desktop uses 126mb at start-up.

I will have to look into this. I'm just a bit unfamiliar with laptops/netbooks and with my luck I would remove the touchpad drivers or something lol.

burnttoast, Jan 7, 2009
  5. burnttoast

goofball

You missed the highlighted part. They do not want to have to do a fresh install of Windows.

Download and use XPLite to remove components already installed with Windows. Use MSConfig/services to disable items that start up that are not needed

goofball, Jan 8, 2009
  6. burnttoast

Forone

I'd agree that's already pretty light usage. Be careful that disabling a lot of services doesn't create functionality problems that you'll be pounding your head about in a few months, wondering why something "doesn't work" and what it was you changed to cause it. A number of the msconfig items relate to networking - you don't mention whether you've set up a network with your other PC or other household devices, or might want to, or why you need those extra megs of RAM apart from a "hoarding" instinct. You might end up doing more things with this little pet than you anticipate. Don't cripple it. (This is the voice of "been there, done that.")

Forone, Jan 8, 2009
  7. burnttoast

ronime

Disable prefetch, or restrict prefect to "boot only".

ronime, Jan 8, 2009
  8. burnttoast

jackluo923

disable intel graphics tray icon, disable snaptics tray icon, disable realtec tray icon, ( disable these 3 things will probably save you 10-20MB of ram)
    optional startup item to disable
    qtzgacer, igfxpers, eRagent, Alaunch (if you don't need the on screen helping text, eg brightness meter),

you also disable some of the services
    indexing service
    fast user switching ( if you don't have multiple account)
    fax
    error reporting service
    help and support
    imapi cd-burning com service,
    netMeeting remove Desktop sharing
    remote desktop help session manager
    smart card
    system event notification,
    print spooler (if you don't have a printer)
    system restore service ( if you don't want to use system restore, which is pretty useless in the first place)
    performance logs and alerts,
    themes ( if you want to use classic themes)
    Uninterruptible power supply ( if you don't have a ups)
    security center,
    automatic update (if you don't plan to update the computer)
    wireless zero configuration ( if you don't use wireless or have your own wireless control program)

Disable prefetch will save you a lot of ram, but intern will dramtically slow down your computer

Other things you can do:
    Remove explorer and change to an alternative such as xyplorer
    change your visual style to classic and remove the theme
    disable all of the devices that you're not using in device manager.. eg.. the webcam, the microphone, external vga port.. etc

jackluo923, Jan 9, 2009
  9. burnttoast

ronime

That has not been my experience. I have prefetch configured in "boot only" mode and applications such as Word 2003 and Excel 2003 still load in a couple of seconds.

ronime, Jan 9, 2009
  10. burnttoast

Forone

I researched and experimented with XP prefetch settings a few years ago, and my notes tell me it helps to empty the folder now and then (especially after rarely used applications have built up a lot of useless files in the folder) but to leave the settings at default "3" so that much used apps will have the benefit of prefetch. This discussion reminded me to apply this wisdom to my year old main machine, and the cleanup and XP's rebuilding of the folder did make a little difference. I have so few apps on the Acer, which is still very peppy, that it makes no sense to empty the folder.

Forone, Jan 9, 2009
  11. burnttoast

jackluo923

I believe AAo is too fast for your needs. Office 2007 word, excel, powerpoint, publisher, access all start instantly without waiting on my AAO. If i don't turn on prefetch, it takes about 5 seconds to open them up.

I also notice a significant lowered start time for Adobe photoshop, premiere pro and aftereffects if i turn the prefetch on. I usually leave the prefetch setting at 3, but let it rebuild every couple month.

jackluo923, Jan 10, 2009
  12. burnttoast

burnttoast

Thanks for all the responses guys. I have tweaked it a bit and now run at about 158mb at at start-up. This includes daemon tools eating up 13mb alone, and enabling Japanese language support with IME. I believe I have loaded everything I want on the AAO, sans games, and I'm pleased with its performance. I have been using OneNote for the past few days in class and it has worked wonderfully. My notes are so organized and colorful with diagrams and pics I could probably sell them after the class is over :lol: Also, since my Frankenstein'd computer, built for under $100 using spare parts from here and there, is being dumb, I have hooked the AAO up to my monitor, keyboard/mouse, printer, and speakers and it works great. I don't even think I'm going to bother fixing the other comp and just use this as my primary school computer. The AAO does not feel much slower than the other comp, at least in what I use it for--word processing.

One thing new I did notice though is that at start up the windows XP logo with status bar no longer fades in it clunks in getting brighter at stops. I have never seen that before. It still loads windows in under a minute, but it lags big time on the XP logo. Anyone else experience this?

Lastly, 2 quick questions.

1) Is there some secret to getting the AAO back from hibernation/standby? Every time it goes into standby nothing I do will bring it back, the power light turns orange and I have to hold the power button until it turns off then turn it back on.

2) I have the AAO hooked to an external LCD, I press Fn+F5 to change the display so the AAO display is off, yet when I close the lid (since I'm not using the AAO screen) the computer goes in the standby. Is there a way I can set this up for use with an external monitor and have the AAO case closed?

Thanks. and sorry for such a long post.

burnttoast, Jan 12, 2009
  13. burnttoast

Forone

For 1) try poking any keyboard key after you open the lid. (You'll want to check Ctl Panel/Power Options/Advanced to be sure the lid closure setting, etc. is what you want it to be.) Funnily, my XP Dell wakes from Standby on just opening the lid, but the Acer seems to require a key-tap regardless of the setting. Tapping power on/off is harder to do and risks actually shutting the system down if you hold it too long. (Another setting to check in Ctl Panel, above.)

I'll leave 2) to others - rarely use Acer with the external monitor and can't recall this problem. Glad the rest has worked out for you.

Forone, Jan 12, 2009
  14. burnttoast

riot

I use an external monitor and get this too. What I do is just go into the power management options and under "On AC Power" I set the "When lid is closed" option to "Do Nothing". Of course you'll have to switch it back to standby unless you don't mind hitting Fn+F4 to sleep everytime.

riot, Jan 12, 2009
  15. burnttoast

jackluo923

for your closing lid while using external monitor, follow these steps:
    power options properties-> advanced-> "when i close the lid of my portable computer", select do nothing

BTW.. if you don't like the way XP shows the boot screen, you can change it easily.
    When my OS starts, it says "FBI terminal starting" instead of windows xp home edition. LOL

jackluo923, Jan 13, 2009
  16. burnttoast

NWO

How to do this?

NWO, Jan 15, 2009
  17. burnttoast

burnttoast

Thanks for the tip on the lid closing issue. Works perfect.

burnttoast, Jan 15, 2009
  18. burnttoast

jackluo923

You can easily change the log-on screen and boot up screen by using tools such as bootit and wincustomize.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jackluo923, Jan 16, 2009
  19. burnttoast

LAZ

If you are still having standby troubles, try replacing the webcam driver. No trouble since I did that.

LAZ, Jan 24, 2009
  20. burnttoast

yachtpro

"Google" and download and install Advanced System Care, cCleaner, and FreeRam XP Pro. The first two will make backups of your registry before cleaning it and also empties caches, and does a bunch of other menial tasks all of which take care of things that slow your computer down. FreeRam XP Pro will instantly release memory that is still being taken up when you close programs, especially browser caches, etc. It resides in the task tray, and once clicked, it will release any set amount of memory you set it to, or you can set it to do it automaticaly when RAM is low. I prefer to click on it and do it manually as sometimes it comes on at inopportune times and will REALLY slow down the system until it is finished working. You can set it to display available RAM remaining, in the task tray and then click on it to release RAM when YOU want it to or when it gets really low. All these programs are FREEWARE and they work! I have been using them for years and load them into every machine I own to keep them running smoothly and FAST!

yachtpro, Feb 3, 2009
Ask a Question