Windows Xp Recovery USB Key Tutorial

Discussion in 'Windows' started by sincitylife, Nov 13, 2008.

1. sincitylife

sincitylife

sincitylife, Nov 13, 2008
  2. sincitylife

fastrx8

Just wanted to post my experience trying this.

My ACER came w/ XP, and I setup Linpus to dual boot.
    I decided to recover my original XP install, but the recovery program would not work even
    though I removed the linux stuff and the grub files and restored the original boot.ini.

So, if figured loading from a USB drive would be my best bet.
    I followed your directions, which were very easy btw.
    I used a USB card reader w/ a 2GB miniSD card. (Maybe that's my issue, but everything seemed to format/copy correctly)
    When I would choose option #1, it would allow me to select the partition, and format, then it would copy the files.
    After the reboot, I select option #2 GUI Mode, and I get the following error;

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
    Please re-install a copy of the above file."

So, I tried everything I could, as explained in this site --->http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/missinghaldll.htm
    but I could not get it to work.
    I even went into XP recovery, and then to C:\Windows\System32\ and the was there "hal.dll".
    I replaced it w/ another copy, and still no go.

I finally just went to the store and bought an external DVD burner.
    Used my same XP disc that I created the USB from, and installed, no issues.

I'm not sure if you've seen the hal.dll error before. Probably not, or I'm sure you would have mentioned it.
    Anyways, this seems like a great option for many people, though I'm not sure what caused the error.
    Just wanted to mention it here in case someone else has the same problem, and you may have a solution for it.

Thanks.

fastrx8, Dec 3, 2008
  3. sincitylife

sincitylife

:|
    You came so close to completing your xp installation! I honestly believe it was because of the USB card reader w/ a 2GB miniSD card to blame(not you or course). I know for a fact - that not all usb flash drives are compatible with this method. Interestingly, I have successfully used this method with a Sony Psp Slim w/a 1GB sony memorystick....which was pretty cool. I also know that this trick doesn't work well with OEM Xp Recovery DVD Discs. I've only had success with Retail Copies of WinXp Pro and WinXp Home; Speedy Vista. Windows7 only works on 160gb acer one hard drives(8gb SSD hard drives are too small).
    Anyhow, i'm glad you have your acer one up and running again.
    How much did you pay for the external dvd drive by the way? Cheers. :p

sincitylife, Dec 4, 2008
  4. sincitylife

Septurion

If you're using the 120gb version of the One:
    You just have to change a few numbers in the boot.ini file on your usb stick. Change the (0) (1) (1) numbers to (0) (1) (2). The last number indicates the hd partition. Since you can't install into the first partition (acer recovery service partiton) you have to change the drive number. It'll work. Trust me.

Septurion, Dec 5, 2008
  5. sincitylife

fastrx8

I was using an OEM disc. I also read on another site that those cause problems.

I had my wife pick up an external DVD drive from Walmart. Their cheapest was $80, same one on Newegg was $50.
    Also, it was powered by an AC plug, if I buy an external drive, I want it to be usb powered, so I returned it.

fastrx8, Dec 5, 2008
  6. sincitylife

Septurion

I downloaded an OEM version of xp pro (inserted my key so it's legal), and I've installed it without any problems just by changing the numbers in boot.ini.

Septurion, Dec 6, 2008
  7. sincitylife

fastrx8

That's good to know. thanks.

fastrx8, Dec 8, 2008
  8. sincitylife

sincitylife

I had no idea that this was a problem in AAO harddrive versions! Is this a common problem? This is a great post...I'm gonna quote you on that in my FAQ page. :mrgreen: Great workaround for folks who don't want to format their hard drives; or those who need data recovery! :p

sincitylife, Dec 8, 2008
  9. sincitylife

maxmix

Great little guide.....

maxmix

maxmix, Dec 27, 2008
Ask a Question