Windows XP SP3 Lite/Netbook Edition (ONLY 160MB!)

Discussion in 'Windows' started by mmad, Dec 18, 2008.

1. mmad

mmad

EDIT 2: I'll post a version later today which is XP SP3 Updated to December 2008 with AAO Drivers slipstreamed into the disc. Its 300mb in size and also includes a few other useful programs.

EDIT: It seems that I'm not allowed to post this so I'll have to get a version that isn't unattended this time.

mmad, Dec 18, 2008
  2. mmad

GvidoR

As I am an Operating System (OS) lover, I will definitely try this. It would be nice to have an up-to-date machine that uses super low RAM and CPU. This looks pretty sweet, I'll try this on a Virtual Box! Although I might as well split a 5.3 GB partition, give it 0.3 GB space and the triple boot. OK, I'll install this and tell you how it works. :D

GvidoR, Dec 19, 2008
  3. mmad

caulktel

Thanks for this info, I just downloaded it and burned it and will give it a spin tomarrow.

caulktel, Dec 19, 2008
  4. mmad

GvidoR

The Review

Hey,
    I installed this on Microsoft Virtual PC 2007. This is Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 Lite. The installation took about 33 minutes. Once installed, I liked the way System Properties looked like - a bit like Vista. :) When you right-click "My Computer" you get so many options including "Device Manager", "Turn Off", "Restart" - those are the ones I like. :cool: When I checked the Task Manager, it uses very little RAM - that's very nice. Overall this looks very nice, so I might go ahead and install this on a partition. ;)

I will explore with this later on - haven't checked everything. :D

GvidoR, Dec 19, 2008
  5. mmad

dskid807

Has anyone tried this on the One as a native install? Does it include drivers and should I bother switching from TinyXP to it?

dskid807, Dec 19, 2008
  6. mmad

mmad

It does not include the drivers that are necessary for the one, so make sure you have them on a usb pendrive or something :)

mmad, Dec 19, 2008
  7. mmad

dskid807

Ok, thanks. But does it give any significant performance boosts vs TinyXp by Ron

dskid807, Dec 19, 2008
  8. mmad

GvidoR

You say that when you install it, it takes up 1.24 GB of space.
    I looked at my installation and it was only 0.98 GB. I know I have 1 GB RAM but I looked in the right place...

GvidoR, Dec 19, 2008
  9. mmad

mmad

Hey well as you can see from the screenshot I took from Vmware above, my installation came out to be 1.24GB. I cant explain a smaller install size :/. Then again, woohoo for you? :) Smaller = better :mrgreen:

mmad, Dec 19, 2008
  10. mmad

GvidoR

Well, here's my screenshot. :)
    It really is 0.98 GB. Boo Ya! :p
    [​IMG]

GvidoR, Dec 19, 2008
  11. mmad

goofball

what is your page file set at in comparison? are they both the same?

goofball, Dec 20, 2008
  12. mmad

ScottZ

What was your install method? I tried using the U3 usb method, but it doesn't work for me. I get "Press any key to boot from cd" and then nothing. In fact, that's happened with every XP iso I've tried. What am I doing wrong? Can someone fill me in on how to do this?

ScottZ, Dec 20, 2008
  13. mmad

mmad

Hi ScottZ, I used this guide: Install XP from USB. It worked for me with Tiny Vista, Windows XP Pro SP2 (retail disc), Windows XP Pro SP3 (nlited disc), and XP lite (the one Ive posted). So try it out following the exact steps and hopefully it will work for you :).

mmad, Dec 20, 2008
  14. mmad

frandu

Hello there,

When I try to install it, I get the Blue screen of death. It loads everything and then ban:

SESSION3_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

STOP: 0X0000006F

Dunno what's happening... Any help?

frandu, Dec 20, 2008
  15. mmad

mmad

mmad, Dec 20, 2008
  16. mmad

ScottZ

Is it necessary to delete all partitions like the EEE tutorial says to do? Or is it ok to keep the hidden reccovery partition?

ScottZ, Dec 20, 2008
  17. mmad

GvidoR

You only get a hidden partition if you ordered a Windows netbook.
    But, if you got Linpus netbook, one partition is all data and the other one is a swap partition.

If you're on Windows - Keep it!
    If you're on Linpus - Delete it!

GvidoR, Dec 20, 2008
  18. mmad

frandu

Hello Mmad, I do notice the error and it seens weird... MMm

I actually tried the installation via USB, but not with the guide you sent. I tried the USB_MultiBoot_10, the same method I installed sucessfully my version of XP.
    I tried the method you sent, but when I indicate on the Step "1" the Source of XP Setup, it says that it does not exist. I tried to indicate thyis version of XP in .rar, in I386 folder and even mounted in a virtual drive. Still i got the same message that the folder does not contains XP Setup.

Probably something I'm doing wrong. The version of USB_MultiBoot_10 I can copy everything to the USB and got no errors. Really weird... Would love to try this XP version hehe.

Happy Holidays!

frandu, Dec 20, 2008
  19. mmad

Hodge

I'm very tempted to give this a run in Aspire one but was just wondering exactly what features have been removed or whatever to keep the size down?

Hodge, Dec 20, 2008
  20. mmad

PhyrePhox

Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I feel nervous about a custom configuration built by someone on B*tT*rrent. Have you installed antispyware software (i.e. Ad-Aware or Spybot) and scanned the system? I've seen too many infected PCs.

Also, did you try using NLite and making your own "leaner" XP install?
    http://www.nliteos.com/

PhyrePhox, Dec 20, 2008
Ask a Question